Need Some Vent Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

The_Grillfather

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 16, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Hello. For the time being, I have a cheap electric smoker (analog), that I got as a gift. All I know is that it came from Sam's Club at some point. I received it, and it sat in my basement for three years. Yes, I seasoned it before use. The issue I have is that when I use my Amazen smoker box, is that I can't keep it going. There is no air flow in the thing. The only holes in it are one about a 1/2 inch diameter in the bottom which incidentally gets covered more or less when the drip pan/drawer is closed. The second one is maybe 3/8 inch diameter at the top rear right-hand corner. I am considering adding two of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00820VEOQ/?tag=smokingmeatforums-20

I'd like to add one near the front right side of the unit because that is where the stock wood chip box is, that I took out, but use the framework to sit my Amazen box on. What would your placement recommendations be?

using a step drill, add 7/8" vents as indicated...

MES Analog.jpg

Yep. What offer an said.
You need a good air supply to keep the AMNPS burning and it sure sounds like you don't have that.
I couldn' tell how big that vent is you'r planning to add but it sure wouldn't hurt. Sounds like you need a bigger exhaust vent too. You want to keep the air flowing freely out of the smoker. I leave the top vent on my MES wide open all the time.
Gary

If it’s a masterbuilt try pulling the chip tray all the way out before you drill holes and see if it will stay lit like that going to try that next time I fire mine up

It's just some electric analog smoker from Sam's Club. Just like a 30" black, basic cabinet. I take the chip tray out completely, and set the largest A. Amazen pellet tray over the frame of that, so it's close to the heating element. The only holes in the thing, are one 1/2" to 5/8" hole on the very bottom but it's more of a drain for grease/liquid since it is right above the drip pan. If the pan is in, which it is, or my patio would be a mess, that blocks one hole. The only other one is like the one on the rear, right side if you are facing the front door, and it looks to be like 3/8" at best. When I put it together before using it, I put in a door seal, so ain't breathing much, and the chips and/or pellets get very little oxygen. Will drilling all those holes make it rust at every corner

You can paint the bare metal after drilling the holes... Anywho, the smoker is no good the way it is... Use it and put some grease on the bare metal... Drill the holes...

Thanks daveomak daveomak This is kind of a dumb question, as I have never had the need to use a step drill, even though I sell them. Do you need to use a regular bit to drill a pilot hole first, or can you just go at it with the step drill right away?

Totally worth it. Without them, my A-Maze-n pellet smoker box would not stay lit. And yesterday with high heat and lit at both ends, I used a full 2/3 of the loaded pellets instead of 1-2 inches like previously.

Totally worth it. Without them, my A-Maze-n pellet smoker box would not stay lit. And yesterday with high heat and lit at both ends, I used a full 2/3 of the loaded pellets instead of 1-2 inches like previously.

I would be careful lighting both ends.
I did that one time, and the smoke was too heavy.
I put the second end out after about 1.5 hours.
Never did it again, and that was about 6 years ago.
I burn about 1 row per 3.5 hours average.

Bear

Ordinarily I wouldn't, but knew since I was short on time, that in this one case, more was needed. I always prefer low and slow. I made sure that I only had white smoke rolling.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky