Need some help please.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

domn8_ion

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Okay, I've got an old fridge gutted out and about to start rebuilding it into a gas smoker. I'm going to use an old turkey fryer burner for heat. Similar to the Afterburner. But I need help with the racks. I saw at Home Depot that there are chrome plated racks that are replacement parts for some grills. Would it be the same if I bought a chrome plated rack to Slide into the fridge, or would there be health concerns I need to know about? Any advice on this would be helpful.
Thanks everyone.

Those would work fine, most of the vertical smokers use that type of rack
biggrin.gif

Make sure all the plastic is taken out of the cooking chamber. What are you going to line the walls and ceiling with? I was also told that the old insulation needs to be torn out too....bad fumes could develop.Keep us updated on the project and shoot lots of pictures.

Think I need some research on the insulation then. I thought it would be okay if I fired it hot for a few hours to burn anything off. The liner on the inside is steel. I plan to keep it in.
As I go along I'll be able to take pics, but it will be a while until I can post them. I don't have a home computer, I do all my work on, (you'll all love this), a Motorola "Q".

good luck on the build. I used a side burner from a gas grill on a smaller smoker I built you can find them every where when people get new grills and most side burners are used very little or not at all

About that insulation, I was talking about the kind that goes behind the plastic kind. Now if your has metal sides already it shoulld be o.k. Where did you find one with metal interior? I'd like to have one too.

i have used a couple of different things...all bought at a second hand store

metal bread pan(any baking pan)
small cast iron frying pan - takes a little time to heat up but holds heat - i like this the best because it has a handle for easy removal when full of embers
small stainless steel mixing bowl

or you can make one out of sheet metal

Hmm... A turkey fryer has WAY too much BTU's. You'd be building a crematorium for pigs....heh. I think someone mentioned a replacement side burner found in some gas grills. That would be more like it.

The old insulation in there, fiberglass would probably be OK, unless ya go with the fryer! I decided not to insulate mine, but was going to use mineral wool type stuff, used for some firestopping applictions in construction.

The reason i decidced against insulation is water. You have to cut a vent in it, and I doubt the unit is watertight from the outside anyway. Think big soggy moldy mess inside the walls.

Far as racks go, you can get square replacements too. I had mine made out of expanded metal. I have to sandblast
em before use and season them, and KEEP them seasoned, but no big deal for custom fit racks.

Also, remember not to build a bomb in case your flame goes out. Always worried a bit about that, without a pilot/thermocouple/regulator system. Don't most of these types have this built in? Hate to see a nice rack of ribs on the neighbor's roof, eh. 'Round here if they end upon MY property, I'm gonna eat 'em.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky