Need some help or tips with a outdoor leisure 38208G smoke hollow propane-gas smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

socalguy781

Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Riverside ca
My brother got one from christmas but we can not get the internal temp of the smoker below 220 even with the burner set on the lowest setting.

Welcome to to SMF!

Higher temps with a gas fired smoker are usually caused from lack of ventilation. I'm not familiar with your particular smoker, but if it has intake vents on the lower sides of the cabinet, try opening them fully, and also the top/exhaust vent should be opened fully.

Then, be sure to have water in the pan. This helps to regulate temps as well. It's been my past experience that with charcoal or propane fired smokers, without water, they will run anywhere from 50-80* hotter.

If trying the above doesn't remedy the high temp issue, it's possible that some debris (dirt, lint, paper fragments from packaging, etc) could have gotten into the inlet of the gas regulator. This can cause the regulator valve not to seat properly, which can cause excessive pressure to be fed from the regulator to the burner control valve.

I'll check back later, and if you still can't fix the problem, I have had some discussions with others having similar issues, so I can search for these threads and get you to that info as well.

Good luck, and don't get frustrated...problems can happen, but gas smokers are generally the easiest to operate and most trouble-free, so hang in there. I turn out great smoked foods from all of my gassers, and I wouldn't give them up, even though I love the charcoal fired smokes.

(busy prepping for a smoke at the moment, so give me bit)

Eric

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome to SMF. You would need to use the tank valve to try and cut down the flow of gas. I have a GOSM and I use a single hot plate for my low temp smoking. Now you can get it at Walgreens for like 10 bucks. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction

GO GATORS  

Tank valves should never be used to regulate gas flow. The upper packing washer in the valve body is design to seal the valve from leakage of gas when in the fully open position, unlike a needle valve which has a packing that encases the valve stem permitting it to seal the stem from leakage regardless of the valve position. This is the reason it is recommended that the tank valve be fully opened when in use, and fully closed when not in use. The valve is not designed to operate any other way in a safe manner, and if not fully opened, it can cause gas to leak from the valve body. No manufacturer that I know has made any statement contrary to this, and if they have, I would not trust the author of that document, unless a diagram of the valve design were included in that document which shows exactly how the valve assembly is designed and how it seals from leakage while in a partially opened position.

Eric

Welcome to SMF lots of good info here.

I have a GOSM and I couldn't go below 235°, I installed a needle valve and now I can go to 180°, you might do a search here for "needle valve", there are some very good threads.

Gene

I have the same smoker.  I would agree that on low (depending on the outside temperature) I get around 220 or so, give or take.  I'm ok with the temp since I don't do any cold smoking.  

Your brother could try to keep the vent at the top wide open - that would allow more heat to escape, but at the sacrifice of smoke also.  You may burn more chips in doing so...

I agree with one of the previous posters - you may look into a needle valve.  That could allow you to cut the flame down to a trickle.  The only downside would be that if there were any wind at all you could easily blow-out the flame.  

Ideally it would be nice to have a smaller burner (like on a stovetop for simmering).  I hear an upcoming Smoke Hollow model will have dual burners.....  waiting to see it.

Good luck!

Your brother could try to keep the vent at the top wide open - that would allow more heat to escape, but at the sacrifice of smoke also.  You may burn more chips in doing so...

I agree with one of the previous posters - you may look into a needle valve.  That could allow you to cut the flame down to a trickle.  The only downside would be that if there were any wind at all you could easily blow-out the flame.  

Good luck!
You can also leave your door open a little to let some heat out but you'll also leave out some smoke.

I had the same problem when mine was new (I have the 34168).  After a few smokes and a bit of frustration, it settled in and now I actually have it just below medium to keep temps around 230.  I have no idea why just using it would do this, but I am not complaining.   

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky