Need Smoker Help for Newbie!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kecats

Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
Hello!
I am in need of some assistance, my husband kinda just threw me out there looking for one - neither of us know what is good, especially me!

I know we'd like an Electric ... Id like to stay under $200.

We used to have one, but you had to take the whole thing apart to add water or wood chips to it. It was a "Bullet Style". He did not like that, and wants one with a little access door or something, as to not interrupt the heat/smoke.

Maybe I'm wrong on that thinking, maybe it doesn't effect it - What do you think?

Any tips on User Friendly, But Great Smokers - Let me know, I would greatly appreciate it!!

I'm wanting to order one shortly, so it's here in time for Christmas :)

Size isn't a huge factor.... We smoke a Turkey on Thanksgiving, and Briskets, etc. So something large enough to hold a Turkey plus some other things.

Thanks again,

Thank you, I was actually just reading about this very one on Amazon. I appreciate the advice!

Seems on some of the reviews I read, their heating element breaks... Though I also see a lot of people bringing that up here, and seem to be getting advice on how to simply fix them theirself?

Other than that, it did seem to get high ratings.

I could always send husband here if that happened :)

Honestly for the money your wanting to spend... that MES is about what your looking for. I have that model and it does a great job. The only other thing I can think of is the Cheapo Brinkman for $79.00 and it loads from the top. I really like mine and it's where I got my start in smoking. Still use it sometimes and it turns out some awesome Q. The MES is easier to load.

You can get the same smoker through Amazon and not have to deal with the fine folks at WalMart (sorry FiU)
http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20...0470983&sr=8-1

But don't look away from a charcoal and wood burner unless you're just dead set against it. I love my Weber Smokey Mountain. It's got a low learning curve, and turns out some beautiful BBQ. Even see the occasional competition BBQer using them. I can easily get 10-12 hours out of mine without having to add fuel from tips I've learned right here on this site.
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-721001-S...0471224&sr=1-1

Stop on over to roll call and give a proper introduction. Lots of great folks on here always willing to help.

Good luck and Merry Christmas. And no doubt it will be with a new smoker under the tree!

You might also consider a propane smoker, they are easy to use and also have a quicker temp recovery than an electric...

Bass Pro has several good deals for under $200.00

The Masterbuilt Propane Smoker For $149.94 This Smoker is 18 inches wide, Not 16 like some...
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...06000_750-6-0#

The GOSM Wide Body for $199.99. This smoker has been a favorite of all who have used them. It is 24" wide which is a big Plus...
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...006000_750-6-0

Thanks everyone for your advice! Sorry for the delay in getting back here. We had to go out of town for a couple days.

I bought something else......... b/c husband started talking about Charcoal.... and then it sounded like he was really interested in a Charcoal one, so I bought a Charcoal Smoker.

It's called a Char-griller w/ Firebox (addition) on the side. Anyone hear much about these?

Yea we have heard of them and there are a few here that use them. So he will have plenty of help from the good folks here. Congrats on the new rig and enjoy it too. Happy smoking.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky