Need quick help on pork shoulder. This is weird.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vraib

Original poster
Jan 17, 2016
First pork shoulder but something is not right. I have wsm. I am new but have done other smokes 6 or 8 times with great results. I got 2 8 lb shoulders, boneless. Researched and expected 8 hrs at least and likely 12. It's been 3 and the internal temp is 207! Can't be.

I am using dual temp probe thermometer. It worked very well the first several times so I think it works. I have kept the wsm at 225 to 235 the entire time. I have moved the meat probe between the two shoulders and revoked it several times.

How can it be done. Still looks and feels raw. Even changed batteries.

Help!

It definitely cant be done yet.

There has to be an issue with your thermometer.

Try a quick boil test on it or can you borrow a different one??

I have been in a panic but just grabbed a normal thermometer and it read 117. Whew! Must have a bad Maverick et-733. The probe measuring bbq temp is working but the meat probe is not. I have even switched them. Plus, it's one month old. Suggested by others on this site.

Ok, time to settle in.

Thanks Al. I switched probes and repeated everything. Determined one probe is bad. Now reading IT of 127. Thank goodness. Sorry guys. Just a rookie in panic mode. I will get better.

Thanks for all the advice!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky