Need Mod Help With My New Vertical Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

topsail girl

Fire Starter
Original poster
Hey Everyone,
Since I'm still such a newbie to both this board and to smoking in general I wasn't sure where to post a thread asking for help with mods. I bought this smoker and I like it except the door doesn't work correctly and I don't like the charcoal pan design. Does anyone own this and have mod suggestions? I thought of washers or springs for the door and a small grill rack for the wood/charcoal pan.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3342509
Thanks in advance to all helpers ;)

Kim

Dunno about the door TSG, but the firepan, being from Brinkmann- needs air holes in the bottom. My ECB has like 25 .5 inch holes drilled in it. What kind of air intake dampers are there? Seems most Brinkmann products are inadequate in that regard too.

lookin at the link you supplied, under product review, you may want to check but it seems to descrribe possibly what you describe and talks about adding washers for the hinges and bending the body a bit for the latch. it mite be ur answer. gd luck

Are you stuck on charcoal? It might be easier too reg. temps if you wire in a electric element and thermostat... Just an idea...

Hey Richtee,

I know what you mean about the firepan - my other ECB has seen every mod ever mentioned on this board LOL. Still cooks great though!! On this new one there are four air intake dampers - two on each side top and bottom but none on front or back. So far so good with keeping temp maintained decently. I found some decent pics of how to modify the charcoal pan so I think I'm all set there.

Erain,

I checked out the revciews and I think that guy had the same issues as I'm having with the door. I'm gonna lookinto it some more and see if I can figure out how to lift the door a bit so the latch will work better.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. If you think of any others please post. I'm interested in all your ideas.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky