Need help with smoking a pork butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

babyham420

Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Washington, PA
I am going to be smoking a pork butt on Saturday but have some questions.
Should I smoke the butt at 225 or 275?
How long should I cook it for at those temps?

Thanks in advance

A pork butt doesn't care what temp you use. 225F takes longer (2-2.25 hours per pound) than 275F (about an hour to 90 minutes per pound). Personally I smoke 8-10 lb bone-in butts overnight for about 12 hours at 225F, then crank the temp up to 275-325F for the last 3-5 hours. Just did a 9.2 lb butt on Monday, finishing on Tuesday. Total time was just over 17 hours.

Thanks for the insight. I think I may try the overnight smoke with the low heat. This is my first time smoking a pork butt so I am a little nervous but extremely excited

Good advice above . Cook to internal temp . I like 205 .
What you cooking on ?

I have a 30 also . If I'm not going over night , I tend to run on the hotter side to get it finished .
Good luck . Nothin to be nervous about . It's gonna be good .

I've smoked butts at 240 and 275. The final results are equally good but personally I just prefer 240.
At 240 your butt will probably stall at about 160. When it stalls you can either wait it out or wrap the butt to shorten the stall. Again I find no difference in the pulled pork.
Like choose, I cook my butts to 205 IT. Then it should probe like soft butter and the bone should pull out easily and clean.
And don't worry about it. A butt is the most forgiving chunk of meat out there. You really have to work hard at it to hurt a butt.
Gary

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky