need help with mailbox mod .... as in where to get a mailbox?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

haeffnkr

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 27, 2015
Hi,

I need to get an aluminum mailbox or can someone tell me that at the extremely low temps of an amazn pellet maze will not harm me?

I tried 2 home depots, a lowes and a true value today, then started to look on amazon and can not find any aluminum mailboxes.

Can you please send me a link or suggest an alternative please?

thanks haeffnkr

Most who do the MB mod use what ever mailbox they can get.

Raise the AMAZEN up off the floor of the box a bit, or put a ceramic tile under it, and you'll be fine.  The temp of the burner won't release the toxic critters.

There are aluminum mailboxes out there, but most will be cast aluminum and will be pricey.

I used an all steel mailbox, purchased at Home Depot. I was just there yesterday and that's all mine stocks. These are not galvanized. They are painted on the exterior only.

I used an all steel mailbox, purchased at Home Depot. I was just there yesterday and that's all mine stocks. These are not galvanized. They are painted on the exterior only.

Same here. Painted steel unit from Home Depot.

I would not use a plastic one, if that's what the OP was asking about.

Tabbed in.

I used a painted steel model for mine.  I don't believe the AMPS generates enough heat to release any toxic fumes.  I've used my mailbox mod several times now and I don't see any evidence of the paint even starting to bubble.

zinc needs to get up to 400 to melt and 800 to boil... if the amps isn't pealing the paint off the painted mailboxes, it's not getting hot enough to cause the zinc to vaporize off the galvanized boxes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky