need help with first pig roast (for a marine)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ralphbrown05

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
jacksonville, fl
ok its that time of year again, my cousin who is in the marines was sent back to africa for another tour in djuboti... hes set to return in the beginning of february, and i got to talkin to him, and we want to do another bbq for his safe return... and ive done just about everything there is to BBQ... chicken, ribs, pulled pork, brisket, beef ribs, etc... i want something that will be a challenge for me, so im set on doing a whole pig.  i found out that my local grocery store can get suckling pigs around 30-40 pounds for 2.79 per pound.... so my questions are, just a quick guess, how long would you think a 30-40 pound porker would be inch wise? i want to make sure that it will fit in my smoker... what temps should i smoke it... i think around 250 would be good, and shove two thermometers in it, one in the shoulder and one in the hind quarter, until it reaches around 180 degrees... but should i do it skin side down, skin side up? should i rub the inside cavity with my bbq rub? should i inject it with creole butter or not inject it at all? does it need to be wrapped in alum foil for the whole duration or partial? how long should it rest before i cut it open and start scarfing? im totally new to the whole pig roast thing.... oh... and please believe there will be LOTS AND LOTS of qview with this one... this will be my best work yet... well hopefully...

thanks in advance

don't know your smoker so can't help w/ that part.

I would season the inside very well then smoke skin side up.

If you smoke belly up you will have fat pooling in the cavity.

The weight you are quoted is usually dressed /head on.

You can buy one and remove the head  to give yourself more room.

Just remember the 40 -140 rule and adjust heat accordingly.

This should be interesting. I always wanted to smoke a whole hog, but don't know how & don't have a big enough smoker.

OK I have made a few suggestions in another thread on this subject.I have done them whole in my woodfired oven ,halved as well. Also spit roasted. Brining it will help set meat as well as flavour. But get it dry before you start cooking. If you cut it up through ribcage & flatten it then cook it skin up you will cut your cooking time & get a more even cook.You can rub inside cavity,I personally wouldnt inject it theres going to be a lot of juice.I dont know your smoker so rest is a bit of a stab in the dark. The 50pounder I  did took 4-5 hours but thats in a woodfired oven like the ones in the pizza joints. I ran it at 180 -220  CELCIUS.  Great price by the way. Head on its got to be 3 foot ++

There's so many ways to do it, it can be confusing if you've never tried it before.

With a suckling pig it should come out tender and juicy no matter how you do it.

When you get into the larger pigs (150-200lbs) is when it gets tricky.

Good luck and remember the camera 
biggrin.gif

I do pigs skin side down..... a small pig 30 to 40 lbs should take about 6 hrs.. probe the shoulder and go by temp , not by time. smoke it between 250 to 275........I take them to 200 degrees... they usually carry over to 205

Good luck

Joe

oh yea there will be lots and lots of qview, from the pig to the sides... but its not going to be until february, because thats when he comes home

u are seriously my new best friend lol.....i was just gonna ask about a suckling pig because i saw them do the whole pig on man vs food.. and well.... my family eats alot... just not a full pigs worth hehe. do you season them with a rub? just salt? or whats the reccomended for that?

There's so many ways to do it, it can be confusing if you've never tried it before.

With a suckling pig it should come out tender and juicy no matter how you do it.

When you get into the larger pigs (150-200lbs) is when it gets tricky.

Good luck and remember the camera 
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky