Need help with firebox design.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

redsautorehab

Original poster
Nov 7, 2016
Cottonwood, AZ
I am working on my second reverse flow using half of a 176 gal propane tank. First one failed miserably. On the first one, the firebox is mounted too high, and it is also too small.

Here is the first one before I made some modifications:

I have since changed the exhaust stack to 4" square tubing, and moved it to the top of the cooking chamber, because it wasn't drafting at all. I also added two vent to the firebox to help with airflow. It will currently hold 250, but not much more.

On my next one, I am going to use a 40 gal water heater for the firebox, which is overkill, but I have read enough posts on here that state that too big of a firebox won't hurt too much.

Here is the idea I have for placement of the firebox perpendicular to the cooking chamber:

Here's the water heater with the door cut out, and I am trying to figure out how to do the vents. I am almost tempted to move the pipe in the center to the bottom, and drill holes into it for the bottom vent.

Any ideas on how to attach a vent to the round surface?

I figured out my lower vents. I cut up a piece of 3" square tubing to mount on an angle at the bottom of the tank. I am going to use the pipe going through the middle as the upper vents, but I have not figured out how to seal them yet.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky