Need help w/ a full PIG.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xtexan

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Columbus,OH
I have never done a full pig before and would like some info. I will be using the smoker in my avatar, i know not much detail from the small pic. But i just need some basic info:

Average price per lb.
Cook times per lb.
Preperation (oil, rub, etc.)
Transporting

I have had several requests for a pig lately but am not even close to doing one for lack of info.

Let the posts begin...

Thanks!

Price per lb is hard for me to guess. Here, I can get one for I think about 80c/lb or less dressed and ready to cook. But, I'm just a few miles from a processing plant that does custom orders. Cook times are like any smoke, variable, but very few cooks have I ever been on have taken more than 14 hours for 150lb pigs. EDIT: one addition, I think we typically cook a bit higher to the 300 degree mark.

We never rubbed or anything, just mopped with a finishing sauce every few hours. You can get a medics body bag and marinade in that if you have a large enough cooler to keep it cold. The bags are waterproof. Seen it done once, but never tried it.

As far as cooking, it should only be turned once. I won't tell you which side up first, because somebody will disagree. (ok, shhhh, we do skin up first until done, then turn over and crisp the skin. we like to eat the skin, so if its put down first it's burnt and inedible. this way, it's still good. You can tell it's done by the feel of the skin on the meat, if it's loose feeling, it can be turned and it's technically done but can cook longer to crisp the skin) Going to temperature is tough, because some parts are going to hit high temps quick, some will take forever.

When I do whole hogs in my horizontal, I place it on it's belly and do not turn it at all. I do place the rear end (hams) closest to the firebox end and rotate the pig end to end (switch ends) half way through the cook.

It helps if you have a piece of wire or chicken wire under the pig for easy turning...If you use chicken wire, make sure it is not galvanized or burn the wire before using.
I use both dry rubs and mops. Just use your favorites or none at all.
If the ribs are cooking too fast, wrap them with foil.
If you are getting a cleaned pig, make sure they have removed the eyes..(I'm sure they probably will).

I have a large trough for marinating/chilling pigs. It's actually a plastic watering trough for sheep. It's easy to pile bags of ice on the pig to keep it chilled.

I have no idea what prices you will find...I raise my own.

As for cooking time, that depends on the weather, smoker and other conditions. I've had pigs ready from 8 hours to 15 hours.
You will need to use a thermometer in the ham and shoulders to be sure.

Let the pig rest for at least 20 minutes to let the juices redistribute.

Can't think of anything else right now....please take pictures for us.
smile.gif

tex.........is that the smoker that naviojim was talking about........that top folds down to make a traveling container?
also with a beer cooler/tap?

I wish that was mine. Mine is nice, but not quite that nice. Also, mine is not a LoneStar

I am having a stainless fridge added and full canopies. The canopy I have now only covers the smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky