• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MeatPopsicle

Original poster
May 27, 2020
Long-time lurker, first time poster! Y'all have already been a wild amount of help, and I'm hoping you can "officially" help me with a pickle I'm in. I picked up my 150gal tank last week for my first offset build and have some concerning questions about the tank (now that my excitement has settled a bit and I actually studied the badge).

#1: Did I actually buy a butane tank instead of the advertised "propane tank" ? (The company name is National Butane Gas Co.)
#2: If it is a butane tank, can I still build an offset smoker out of it?
#3: Am I reading the badge correctly in that the walls are only .1875in thick and the heads being .159in thick? That seems crazy thin, right?

My intentions were/are to have a 1/4in thick cooking chamber, but I've got a sinking suspicion that my tank ain't that..

Attachments

• Tank Badge.jpg
    Tank Badge.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 50
i know nothing about offset smokers or building them, but i cant see why butane would be a problem as it is used for cooking in some camp stoves and lighters. butane burning produces CO2 and water vapour when burned in an environment with adequate oxygen and CO when burned away in an environment with little oxygen. hope this may help a little bit.

badge indicates the shell is 3/16 inch thick

badge indicates the shell is 3/16 inch thick
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I just assumed that all of the larger propane tanks were 1/4". Might just add some 1/4" furring strips across the bottom of the CC to bulk up the heat retention.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky