Need help on choosing the right smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cntrygrl123

Original poster
Nov 17, 2015
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to purchase a smoker for my boyfriend for Christmas, but I am clueless on where to start or what to get. Thanks to this forum and all of your input, I believe I have narrowed it down to a couple different choices. More specifically the MES 40 or the Bradley Digital or Original. However, most of the input I found was from 2012. Just wanted to see where you guys stand today and if I should go with one of the options I listed above or if there is something else you would recommend?

My boyfriend is an avid hunter, but is a novice when it comes to smoking. Budget is around $350. Obviously looking for something durable/reliable, yet cost effective. Any insight is greatly appreciated. 

You can't go wrong with the new 40" Masterbuilt Blue Tooth that Sams and Pro bass Shops sells. Same Smoker both places with Sams having  4 shelves with legs for $329  and Pro Bass having 6 shelves with no legs.

I'm looking for an electric smoker that reaches high heat. Does this model? I have smoked using propane for 20 years but I'm looking for an insulated electric model that I can use a second oven for large gatherings. I have read that some go up to 500 degrees for searing but I wasn't able to find brands or models. Any suggestions? Preferred upright model. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to purchase a smoker for my boyfriend for Christmas, but I am clueless on where to start or what to get. Thanks to this forum and all of your input, I believe I have narrowed it down to a couple different choices. More specifically the MES 40 or the Bradley Digital or Original. However, most of the input I found was from 2012. Just wanted to see where you guys stand today and if I should go with one of the options I listed above or if there is something else you would recommend?

My boyfriend is an avid hunter, but is a novice when it comes to smoking. Budget is around $350. Obviously looking for something durable/reliable, yet cost effective. Any insight is greatly appreciated. 
I agree with bricklayer221. For the money (especially if on sale) you can't go wrong with one of the Masterbuilt Bluetooth electric digital 40" smokers. And Masterbuilt provides outstanding customer service.

What I don't like about Bradleys is that you're restricted to using their proprietary "biscuits". With a MES you can use wood chips or wood pellets or wood dust.

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with the MES 40 go get it from academy while they have the black Friday sale for $199!!!! I did today. Best purchase I ever made

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky