Need Help!!! Buckboard Bacon Nightmare with Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

teeznuts

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Central Cali
14 days ago I started curing my butt with Hi Mountain cure. I was aiming for 10 days plus 2 but got ties up with other smokes. I've been up til all hours lately reading the numerous BBB posts on here. I am confused! I'm not worried about the curing process but what follows is wher I'm lost. Hi Mountain says let sit at room temp 2 hours then into smoker without smoke then add smoke. People here say put under a fan for a couple hours, back in fridge a couple hours or overnight. Some mention pellicle some don't.

I rinsed and just did fry test. Will go taste once it cools. Then What?

I know, no pics didn't happen.

fe0dcf8f_IMGP2417.jpg
e4c16ca3_IMGP2419.jpg
79f18182_IMGP2422.jpg
e0f9e8a9_IMGP2423.jpg

Yup---What Bomber said---Pat dry & put in smoker without smoke for an hour or so, at about 130˚ to 140˚.

That will dry the surface & finish forming the tacky pellicle.

Then if it was me, and you are talking about warm smoking, I'd try to keep it at 140˚ or so with light smoke for maybe 4 hours.

Then I'd go to 160˚ for a couple hours (with light smoke).

Then I'd go to 180˚, until the internal temp gets to 150˚. 

I'd keep smoke on it the whole time here too, but that's old Smokey Bear---ME!!!

According to the new USDA recommendation, 145˚ is enough, but to be safe, I'd go to 150˚.

Then I'd pull it, (sneak a taste---LOL) let it cool enough to put in fridge, wrap it in saran wrap, and put it in fridge until the next day, or even another day.

Then I'd slice it however thick you want it.

Then since you took it to 150˚, you don't have to fry it or cook it in any way before you eat it.

You can eat it cold, or throw it in the Nukulator or frying pan just long enough to warm it up good.

Hope this helps,

Bear

Thanks Bear for another rescue. The next batch is curing in some Mortons following your instructions.

I did 25# a week ago, and 1/2 is gone!

I keep giving it away to friends.

Make extra!!!

TJ

BTW: It wasn't mentioned, but I figured you already knew---If it's too salty after your fry test, soak it some more until it isn't.

Then you can pat dry & put in fridge over night, and then go to what I said above. That way you can start in morning.

Or you can go right to the smoker after patting it dry.

I always start in morning---Not a night smoker, if I can help it.

Bear

The salt wasnt bad after a super soak and rinse. Im hoping the next batch with the morton's sugar cure will require less soak and rinse.

The salt wasnt bad after a super soak and rinse. Im hoping the next batch with the morton's sugar cure will require less soak and rinse.
I never used Morton's Sugar Cure, but you may have read somewhere, the only time I had to soak any extra time was with Hi Mt Cure & Seasoning.

I never had to soak extra with TQ.

However, I always do a salt fry test, because I know if I skip it, that will be a salty one!!!!  
biggrin.gif

Bear

I never used Morton's Sugar Cure, but you may have read somewhere, the only time I had to soak any extra time was with Hi Mt Cure & Seasoning.

I never had to soak extra with TQ.

However, I always do a salt fry test, because I know if I skip it, that will be a salty one!!!!  
biggrin.gif

Bear
Yes your experience is what made me think Morton's would be less salty than Hi Mountain.

The Morton's Sugar Cure I found, has smoke flavor added.

I wonder how much this adds to the flavor???

Todd

Use Hickory if you like a little stronger smoke flavor

I use Apple for mine

DO NOT Use Mesquite!

Todd

The Morton's Sugar Cure I found, has smoke flavor added.

I wonder how much this adds to the flavor???

Todd
I ordered the plain sugar cure as opposed to the smoke added variety. I read that the smoke added product is for longer cures so I left it alone.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky