need good brat recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

porkn

Original poster
Feb 9, 2007
would anyone have a good recipe for homemade brats they would be willing to share Thanks

I have made 2 diffrent recipes and can't do better than the backwoods seasonig mix. So I stick with them but rycheck recipe is a good place to start..

Jeff

I think it's Rytek Coutra (or something like that). His book is the bible of sausage making. I'm hoping to make his recipe soon. You can get it on any book store website.

The Rytek Kutas book is a good one. His brat recipe is a bit complicated (milk, soy protein, etc), but looks good and I intend to try it. Have noticed that a lot of his recipes call for pork snouts. I live in the middle of hog country, but I wouldn't know where to get my hands on 5 pounds of pork snouts.
rolleyes.gif
Someday, I'll work up enough nerve to start asking around.....if nothing else, out of morbid curiosity to see what happens. I half expect them to call the law....once they stop laughing.

In the meantime, a simple recipe I have used is as follows:

For 3 pounds of brats (multiply as needed)

2 pounds pork butt
1 pound veal (I used ground deer meat)

1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp caraway seeds
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
3/4 tsp ground white pepper
1 1/2 tsp salt

Grind meats, mix in spices and grind again. If you would prefer, you could grind twice (3/16 plate), then add spices to half a cup of water and mix. Water will make the mix a little easier to stuff.

Stuff in natural casings and twist off in 4 to 5 inch links. These are grilled or pan fried fresh or from frozen. No smoking, so no nitrite in the mix.

BTW, almost all brat recipes call for veal. No wonder they were so popular in Wisconsin with all the dairies around. Brats, cheese and beer. If not heaven, it's a waypoint along the way!

10 pound recipe

Pork Butt or Shoulder 6#

Beef/Veal/Venison 4#

Kosher salt 2 Tbls

Marjoram 1 1/2 Tbls

Mace 1/2 tsp

Nutmeg 1/2 tsp

Caraway seed 2 1/2 tsp

Allspice 2 tsp

White pepper 3 Tbls

Black pepper 3 Tbls

Corriander 1/2 Tbls

Ground mustard 2 1/2 tsp

Fine diced onions 1/4 Cup

Pureed Garlic 5 Tbls

ALL SPICES SHOULD BE GROUND FIRST

Powdered Milk or Soy Protien
(Acts as a binding agent) 1 cup

Ice Water 1 1/2 Cup

Cut pork into 3/4” cubes, but not larger than 1”. Its best if the meat is somewhat frozen as it makes it allot easier to cut. Take spices and mix with the 1 1/2 cups ICE WATER. Add water/spice mixture to the cubed meat. ADD POWDERED MILK OR SOY PROTIEN and mix EVERYTHING well. It will start to thicken. By cutting meat into cubes, you avoid the need to grind twice. Once mixed, grind mixture thru a 3/16th hole plate and right into casing if using a mixer/stuffer combo unit. Otherwise, grind and transfer to your stuffer. Stuff into natural hog casings. When done place in fridge overnight. Remove from fridge and wrap or vaccum into serving size portions and freeze.

Probably not what you're looking for, but I use Penzey's brat mix and recipe. A little mustardy for some but pretty dang tasty to me.

I use Butcher Packer's Bratwurst mix, it has everything in it and great flavor, saves having to buy containers of ingredients you'll only use once every 4 months or so, only a few dollars a bag to do 25lbs. of product - I couldn't mix my own anywhere's near better or cheaper. This is consistent quality on a consistent basis all the time. I'd strongly recommend you check them out!

http://www.butcher-packer.com/

I get all my seasoning mixes from them and haven't been disappointed yet! Including cure, too! I've posted several threads also on how to reproportion seasoning mix ingredients to the weights of product you're using so you can be totally precise in seasoning variable amount of product every time. The secret to sausage-making is making it great every time the same way! If you bought every seasoning separately and mixed them, you'd accomplish one thing - a cupboard-full of ingredients getting stale between batches, a lot of money tied up in individual ingredients, and always the chance of running out of one ingredient or the other right when you want to do another batch (for example, one of the main ingredients of Brats is Coriander - you find you're out of it but have plenty of the rest - it'd cost you more just ordering another container of that than a whole bag of all the ingredients mixed together). I'd rather spend my time making sausage than making seasoning mix I can easily acquire already mixed.
Check 'em out, they're a great company and I'll vouch for their quality, consistency, delivery and customer service!

Meat Hunter's sounds a little better but I flagged this one a while back so I'll throw it out

1 pound of ground pork
1 pound of ground beef
3 teaspoons of celery seed
3 teaspoons of caraway seed
1 1/2 tablespoon of powdered milk
1 egg
3 teaspoons of onion powder
Salt and pepper
1/2 teaspoon of lemon peel
1 1/2 tablespoon of dried parsley
4 1/2 tablespoons of water

Being new at sausage making and not having tried anything yet I was thinking about going out this weekend with a list of ingredients but after reading your post I tend to agree at least until I get past the actual process of grinding and stuffing. I envision having to build another pantry and adding another fridge just for storage. So for my first go rounds I think trying the pre mades would be the prudent thing to do, imagine that me being prudent.
redface.gif

Dave

I agree with the premade mixes being a good place to start. Then you can focus on your grinding, mixing, stuffing, smoking, etc. and not have to worry so much about the mix. I use a lot of premade mixes and jazz them up as needed after the first use. I use a lot of Leggs brand, some Sausage Maker, and some from my local meat counter grocer. I've also used a lot of recipes as well. Whatever I'm in the mood to do.

Actually, you can get them by the box, usually 10 or 20 lb. boxes from a local packer. Snouts, ears, tails, feet, livers, kidneys, etc. Used to get them and merchandise them in the meatcase all the time in the offals section.

Pops §§

Porkin, I just made a 5 lb. batch using Rytek recipe for the first time. in addition I also used some sauted onion, green pepper and homemade bacon. Turned out great on the grill last night. Next time I'm going to add some chedder cheese too. Good luck

I'm not sure there are any local packer's left around this area. Either big (meaning they want me to buy by the ton) or local locker plants that process all they kill themselves. The locker plants will sell me a few pork livers, and I'll have to work up the nerve to ask about the snouts. One of our local foods stores must cater to ethnic clients, as they have feet, tails, hearts, tongues, etc. out in the case. That's not something the average housewife goes looking for.

What I want to know is where I can get my hands on some of those old rusty Dexter carbon steel knives??????

Returned to that "ethnic" store and took a closer look. In addition to chicken feet, hog maul, pigs ears, etc. they DID have hog snouts (labeled pig snoots). Problem solved! I guess problem solved, except what do you do with them? Looked to me like the skin is still attached. Grind up as is, skin and all????

I tried 5 pounds of Rytek's brat recipe (used all butts.....no veal....can't find any veal locally that isn't $8 per pound plus), and didn't run them through a food processor to emulsify them. Can't say that my tastes run to the nutmeg/mace flavor, but whoa baby, that soy protein, egg, milk stuff sure did make them plump. Next batch, I'll stick with the SP, but try some different spices.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky