Need advice on my first loin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jnstrom

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Alright, I have done butts, ribs, abts, and chicken but I have yet to do a loin. I figure this weekend is the weekend! My questions to the collective whole:

1. Smoker temp (220-235?)
2. What is a good loin size?
3. Do you foil the loin at any point like ribs?
4. Does the Loin need cooler time like a butt?
5. Inject or Stuff (Ill probably do one of each but I want to know your favorite way) Or maybe both.
6. Rub or Paste.
7. Trim the fat and "silver" or leave it?

Any advice will be appreciated.
biggrin.gif

I have only done a couple myself but they turned out great
1. 225
2. Don't remember
3. I foiled after 1.5 hours
4. I let mine rest for about 20 min
5. I did not inject (but I did brine)
6. rub over night
7. Left the fat on.
Turned out awsome! I used apple wood to smoke it. Have fun... and save me a bite.

Here ya go read some of these posts and see what questions you still have

Bummer the searchlinks don't seem to work long

I like a loin butterflied. Take a sharp chef and cut a slit longwise along the side of the loin about 3/4" from the bottom, each pass cutting deeper and rolling the loin out. When you have a flat hunk of meat, lay bacon, veggies and cheese in there. Roll him back up, wrap with bacon again and tie with butchers twine.

Also, yes I would trim the silver skin.

I let loin rest no more then fifteen minutes and pull off cooker a few degrees below my desired internal.You can dry them out quick-so i cook at higher temps 275-300.I rub and glaze alot.Stuffing them is a treat.I inject too but watch salt.Never saw a need to foil but who knows.I like cherry and apple smoke.Never saw need to trim much if any.I buy the whole loin and smoke some 1 inch pork type chops-- from one end of loin.Different strokes...

People do them different this is how I do mine and suggest you try them different ways while writing down all the details and find out what you like best

Ok I tried something a bit different. Next time I will butterfly my loin for better stuffing. Sorry I didnt get a chance for the qview.

Took a 4 pound Loin

Stuffing

In a bowl mix
  • 1/2 rocotta cheese
  • 1/2 package of cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup parmassian cheese
  • approx 1/4 cup chopped black olives
  • approx 1/4 cup chopped spinich
  • approx 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
In a small sauce pan or pot add
  • Peal and chop 1 pear
  • approx 1/4 cup of apple juice
  • 2 tsp of paprika
  • 2 TBSP of olive juice (from can of olives from above)
Cook at medium high heat and mash down pear as you go. (doesnt need to be completely mashed).
In a small pan cook
  • 1 chopped up Hot Link Sausage
When the Hot link is just about done add you Pear/Apple sause from above mash them together and simmer until it reduces to a workable mix.

Stuff your Pork loin, with both mixtures. Leave a bit for later.
Cook uncovered in smoker at 235-235 for 1.5 hours then cover for 1 hour and lastly cover for .5 hours if in a pan place the remanding sauce over the loin. Of course change times with temps of the meat.

All I can say is YUMMMMMMMMMM....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky