Need advice on my first loin

Discussion in 'Pork' started by jnstrom, Mar 12, 2009.

1. jnstrom

jnstrom Fire Starter

Alright, I have done butts, ribs, abts, and chicken but I have yet to do a loin. I figure this weekend is the weekend! My questions to the collective whole:

1. Smoker temp (220-235?)
    2. What is a good loin size?
    3. Do you foil the loin at any point like ribs?
    4. Does the Loin need cooler time like a butt?
    5. Inject or Stuff (Ill probably do one of each but I want to know your favorite way) Or maybe both.
    6. Rub or Paste.
    7. Trim the fat and "silver" or leave it?

Any advice will be appreciated. [​IMG]

2. I have only done a couple myself but they turned out great
    1. 225
    2. Don't remember
    3. I foiled after 1.5 hours
    4. I let mine rest for about 20 min
    5. I did not inject (but I did brine)
    6. rub over night
    7. Left the fat on.
    Turned out awsome! I used apple wood to smoke it. Have fun... and save me a bite.

3. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Here ya go read some of these posts and see what questions you still have

Bummer the searchlinks don't seem to work long

4. carpetride

carpetride Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Piney that link doesn't work for me.

5. geek with fire

geek with fire Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I like a loin butterflied. Take a sharp chef and cut a slit longwise along the side of the loin about 3/4" from the bottom, each pass cutting deeper and rolling the loin out. When you have a flat hunk of meat, lay bacon, veggies and cheese in there. Roll him back up, wrap with bacon again and tie with butchers twine.

Also, yes I would trim the silver skin.

6. alx

alx Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I let loin rest no more then fifteen minutes and pull off cooker a few degrees below my desired internal.You can dry them out quick-so i cook at higher temps 275-300.I rub and glaze alot.Stuffing them is a treat.I inject too but watch salt.Never saw a need to foil but who knows.I like cherry and apple smoke.Never saw need to trim much if any.I buy the whole loin and smoke some 1 inch pork type chops-- from one end of loin.Different strokes...

7. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

People do them different this is how I do mine and suggest you try them different ways while writing down all the details and find out what you like best

8. forluvofsmoke

forluvofsmoke Smoking Guru OTBS Member

9. jnstrom

jnstrom Fire Starter

Ok I tried something a bit different. Next time I will butterfly my loin for better stuffing. Sorry I didnt get a chance for the qview.

Took a 4 pound Loin

Stuffing

In a bowl mix
    • 1/2 rocotta cheese
    • 1/2 package of cream cheese
    • 1/4 cup parmassian cheese
    • approx 1/4 cup chopped black olives
    • approx 1/4 cup chopped spinich
    • approx 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
    In a small sauce pan or pot add
    • Peal and chop 1 pear
    • approx 1/4 cup of apple juice
    • 2 tsp of paprika
    • 2 TBSP of olive juice (from can of olives from above)
    Cook at medium high heat and mash down pear as you go. (doesnt need to be completely mashed).
    In a small pan cook
    • 1 chopped up Hot Link Sausage
    When the Hot link is just about done add you Pear/Apple sause from above mash them together and simmer until it reduces to a workable mix.

Stuff your Pork loin, with both mixtures. Leave a bit for later.
    Cook uncovered in smoker at 235-235 for 1.5 hours then cover for 1 hour and lastly cover for .5 hours if in a pan place the remanding sauce over the loin. Of course change times with temps of the meat.

All I can say is YUMMMMMMMMMM....