Need advice on cold smoking cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thin blue smoke

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
Piney Woods of East Texas
My AMNPS will be here Wednesday so I went to the store and bought 12 blocks of cheese including extra sharp cheddar, sharp cheddar, mozzarella, colbyjack, monterrey jack, hot pepper and swiss.

I have done some reading on this board and now have some questions.

These are all 8 ounce blocks. Should I leave them whole or cut them in half?

Should the cheese be removed from the package and left uncovered in the frig before smoking? If so, how long?

What wood to use? I ordered hickory, apple and pecan pellets.

I have a MES40. Should I light one or both ends of the AMNPS?

How do you know when to stop the smoking process?

Should I let it rest after the smoke or vacuum seal it immediately?

I understand swiss does not require the aging process.

Any other suggestions are appreciated as well.

My AMNPS will be here Wednesday so I went to the store and bought 12 blocks of cheese including extra sharp cheddar, sharp cheddar, mozzarella, colbyjack, monterrey jack, hot pepper and swiss.

I have done some reading on this board and now have some questions.

These are all 8 ounce blocks. Should I leave them whole or cut them in half?

I prefer to leave them whole

Should the cheese be removed from the package and left uncovered in the frig before smoking? If so, how long?

Not necessary 

What wood to use? I ordered hickory, apple and pecan pellets.k

I like a 50 - 50 mix of Apple - Pecan

I have a MES40. Should I light one or both ends of the AMNPS

For the first time I would light one end to see how you like it 

How do you know when to stop the smoking process?

I usually go 3 to 3 1/2 hours for my taste

Should I let it rest after the smoke or vacuum seal it immediatel

Let it cool in the fridge for 30 minutes or so  

I understand swiss does not require the aging process.

I age mine just like the others 

Any other suggestions are appreciated as well

Relax and have fun 

I cut 8 oz blocks in half. Only because i sell them . i pkg up 4 oz blocks age for 14 -21 days and then sell.

I think Scar gave you very good answers. I wouldn't use the hickory for your first time because it can have a bigger bite than the apple-pecan. And regarding portion size, if you think you want to package and consume it 8 oz. at a time keep them whole. But if you think you will consume smaller quantities, cut them into smaller portions before smoking. I like 4 oz. portions. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky