Need advice! First timer on ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

drewar

Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
I have recently come across a smoker and started getting into smoking meat as often as I can. I came across this forum a couple months ago and have since smoked a few butts, and thanks to advice from ya'll, there have been awesome! I don't have much to brag about as far as smokers go, but due to a college budget and space constraints, its the best I can do for now! it is just one of those red barrel-like electric smokers from home depot. This weekend I am hoping to smoke a couple racks of ribs for the first time and need advice on how to do it right, start to finish! Any and all advice is welcome, being new to this, yall may want to make it as detailed as possible haha. Thanks a ton!

I suggest a good rub and no foil. It's way easier to keep it simple and build on your success. Keep temp 225-240 don't check it all the time. I'm sure others will give some great advice. Good luck.

Yup, I say no foil. 250-275, cook til toothpick tender.

Drew , when they do this when picked - up with Tongs in the middle of the 'Rack" , they are done .

Hint , if you think you need to cut your "Rack" , don't , Roll them and cook them whole . They will be the same as flat ones when picked - up.  I do not wrap my Ribs ;

and they are tender and juicy . . .

Have fun and . . .

Drew I hate to say this but I think you will nee a boatload of ribs to try all the different methods!  At least you won't go hungry! The previous  posts are the posters preferred way to smoke ribs and they all are tasty. Try several different methods and decide which you like best. If you have questions about someones method, use the search function or PM them. Most members will be happy to help! Good luck and don't forget the q-view!

Mike

To foil or not to foil - that is the question... I always foil but it looks like I am in the minority here 
biggrin.gif

I use the 3-2-1 method as well and they are always tender and smokey. I've smoked plenty without foiling but I find most of the people that eat my food like the ribs falling off the bone and for that you need to foil. I myself like them a little bit firmer and not falling off the bone but I'm in the minority around these parts so I make them the way I know people will like them.

Foiling or not foiling..... Both good options it's all about how you want the final product to turn out.

Start by taking the membrane (silver skin) off from the back of the ribs. Sprinkle your favorite rub all over and put back in fridge while you get the smoker set up and heating. When the smoker is ready put your ribs on and don't mess with them! Let them cook. They aren't going to run away. No little rib stealing elves are gonna come take them. Just let them do their thing with out all the peeking. Go unfoiled :biggrin: drink some beer with a buddy or your little lady and those ribs will be done in about 5/6 hours. You can check after about 4 if you want. Cook them at between 225-250. Just have fun with the cook that is the most important thing.

Old school,

when you say roll them instead of cut them, does that mean roll them and stand them on their ends to cook them?

Yeah, that's exactly what he means. I'd get some sort of probe thermometer to check the temp in that smoker. If it's like the one I had, it's not adjustable and will max out in the low 200's even without the water pan. It's also pretty susceptible to wind and weather. That doesn't mean it's bad, you just gotta be prepared. Everyone's thrown their 2 cents worth on what to do with the ribs so I won't bother. Good luck and have fun!

Yeah, that's exactly what he means. I'd get some sort of probe thermometer to check the temp in that smoker. If it's like the one I had, it's not adjustable and will max out in the low 200's even without the water pan. It's also pretty susceptible to wind and weather. That doesn't mean it's bad, you just gotta be prepared. Everyone's thrown their 2 cents worth on what to do with the ribs so I won't bother. Good luck and have fun!
I'm guessing its probably the same one. I have it rigged with a lot of foil and can get it to about 210 with the water pan. I've never tried it without water in the pan or the pan all together for that matter. Does that help increase the temperature? Also, without that pan there, do I ran the risk of messing up the electric coils with the grease dropping on them?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky