need a great turkey brine recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meyring81

Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Western NY
My in laws have a get together this time every year and my mother in law and I smoke different meats for a crew of people. I need a turkey brine recipe that is great I used to buttermilk brine recipe last year and it was good but looking for some ideas to top it. It cant be too spicy, but a little heat won't hurt. I made seasoned butter to put under the skin last year. I wasn't overly impressed, but it did help keep the turkey extra moist. I have a rub that I usually use, but there again not against changing that up. Any feedback is appreciated.

My Fowl Brine

(I am still learning brine, I always injected only)

3/4C                     brown sugar

1/2C                     salt

1T                          fresh Rosemary

1t                          ground Thyme

1T                          fresh Parsley

3/4T                      Dalimatian rubbed sage

2T                          Lea & Perrins

1t                          Tabasco

1/2T                      Tony’s “More Spice”

2 caps                   Butter extract

My old trusty injection (Been using this for 30+ years)

2 oz bottle of onion juice

2 oz bottle of garlic juice

Small bottle of Tabasco

Small bottle of Lea & Perrins

1 stick butter

½ C salt

This is my old recipe when I was doing multiple birds, make it and maybe freeze it or adjust accordingly for your bird. Also get a hypodemic with the biggest gage needle from the local feed and seed, it does less damage to the flesh and allows you to do more injections of less juice, (besides saving money). Thereby adding flavor and moisture without puddling it.

Make sure you dissolve the salt and have a warm needle and hypo or it can plug on you, a warm glass of water for needle if you hit a cold spot.

Just my preferences, I have a chicken drying the fridge now after 24 hours of this brine. Gonna smoke it this evening for supper. You are cooking against your Mother-n-law? I don't see the possiblity of a winning situtation, start practicing on chickens now! Have you thought of moving to California?

Good luck with your smoke man

Last edited:
I recently did the slaughter house brine of 2 turkey breasts.  Had all of the things I needed at home...and it is wonderful.  Gives the bird a nice flavor with out being too salty or spicy.  I am going to use that during the Holidays this winter

Kat

Here's a few you can paruse, some different flavor profiles...
biggrin.gif
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/newsearch?search=Poultry+Brines

I wouldn't dream of cooking against her lol. She does brisket for the bunch and I usually do the poutry. Her brisket is some of the best I have had. I may have to grab a few chickens and give your recipe a whirl.

Thanks

Slaughterhouse brine be good just the way I made it, low in salt an all.  Now ifin ya wan't a bit more heat, add in some cajun seasonin, just don't add to much er you'll go from warm ta WOW in a hurry!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky