NE Ohio - new smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

asparagus jones

Original poster
Jul 4, 2016
Howdy folks. I'm Sean, a 40 year-old BBQ lover and newbie smoker from the Akron, OH area. Still on cloud nine after the NBA finals, haha.

I'm pretty familiar with all sorts of cooking, including grilling, but just got my first smoker, a COS Char-broil American Gourmet (LOL) Offset 1280. Yeah, it's a cheapie, but my choices were limited to this one, an even cheaper one, or not getting one. I've already made a few mods to it and have plans for more. I've been looking on Craigslist for a while but haven't found anything nice in my price range, so instead of waiting any longer I finally pulled the trigger.

I cook a fair amount of pork, ribs being my favorite, and look forward to properly smoking some butts, turkeys or turkey cuts, chickens, and sausages, too. The PBS show BBQ With Franklin has also made me really interested in smoking brisket and beef ribs, and Texas-style BBQ in general, so I'll being trying that soon, too.

I'm not very familiar with this site yet but I look forward to poking around for tips on sound methods, fuel, good rubs, sauces, accessories, and mods. I probably didn't need to subject myself to another addictive hobby, but here I am.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky