Natural hog casings vs others

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jjpiv33

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 29, 2014
Charlotte
So i have been experimenting with some recipes for a garlic kielbasa in natural casings. My stuffing process if quite easy.
Soak casings 30 mins warm water
rinse inside twice, soak in clean warm water 30 more min
rinse again
stuff
Now im getting quite good at stuffing, tie off my links, bloom, smoke, and then water bath to finish bringing internal temp up.
But from time to time after grilling you get a casing that is tough to break. Now im sure its because it was a thick casing, but what are your guys thoughts on going to collagen, or even cellulose?
Im trying to get a more consistent sausage.

-John

I like the natural casings for most applications. I have gotten a few thick ones. I hate taking a bite of a sausage and getting a piece of intestine chewing gum along with it. >_<

JC :emoji_cat:

Last edited:
Reactions: PPG1 and jjpiv33
This is how I store mine .
Couple things . Buy a quality hog casing . I get mine from sausage maker . These guys told me a long time ago not to use the home pack casings . Shorts , irregular size and alot of tags .
Once I started buying the better casing and storing them as shown it that thread my sausage improved a bunch .
I'm a big no on collagen .
I do use cellulose for hot dogs . I like those .
My opinion , an hour soak time on natural hog casings is not enough .
Cleaning , salting and storing them as shown in the linked thread is the way to go .
Quality casings . What you see on the stuffer is one length . I haven't had a blow out doing it like that either .
20190302_113705.jpg 20190302_115954.jpg
20190302_115559.jpg

Another trick is to put a tablespoon of vinegar in the water while you are soaking them, but I use Joe’s method & put a little vinegar in the storage container, so all I need to do is rinse them off & they are ready to go.
Al
I do the same.
Been using hog and sheep that are over a year old in my sealed container in fridge. 0 issues.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky