My Try at Dudestrami, with Sandwich Qveiw

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tom c

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
Orlando, FL
Rubbed it with old bay and pickling spices, wrapped in plastic and letting it rest in the fridge overnight. 

9b115d5a_2011-12-0309.13.36.jpg

The vein of fat running right through the middle of it is separating to the point that it is only be held together by about 20%. Should I separated into two pieces or cook it as one? If I cook it as one piece where do I check it for IT?  

Last edited:
Probably easier to separate before the smoke...never tried making my 'strami with an intact, trimmed packer.

Oh, wait, I just took a second look at the pic...too small to be a packer judging the grain of the meat and size of the spices...do you mean that's just a small flat cut, and has a fat layer in the middle? If so, I'd leave it alone it will translate to uniformity of thickness...you'll get more evenly cooked product if the thickness is uniform (internal finished temps).

Eric

Cook it as one...stick the therm' in the thickest area...You will probably be disregarding temp and going by tenderness in the end anyway...JJ

Yep when it gets close start probing it with a toothpick, when it goes in with no resistance it's done. Usually around 205 IT.

Here is what I am talling about.

a1745408_2011-12-0309.12.26.jpg

It's a 4 pound Flat Cut

2030666b_2011-12-0309.22.37.jpg

Ok what the right IT for slicing with a knife? I’ve seen 160 to 205 with a lot of people pulling them at 180 to 190. The package shows 160 and I know that is to low, and Al is the master of the roust, but I want it to slice and not fall apart.

Last edited:
Unless your going to slice it real thin. It will slice at 205. You can try testing it at 195 & see how tender it is. Here's a photo of one that was pulled at 205.

Sorry it's so blurry & the color is off, but this is a few years old with my old camera

d149c0a4_PICT0131.jpg

Looks like yours came out good. I really miss THE DUDE ABIDES - I still get a PM from him now and then 

Tom, hate to say it, but that doesn't even look like a flat cut brisket. It looks more like the center section of a packer where the point and flat are separated by the fat layer. Yep, just studied it a bit closer and I can see the meat grains running in two directions, the fat layer, and on the upper portion, I see where the grains change direction with a section of connective tissue.

Is what I'm describing from the pic accurate?

Anyway, looks like it could be a challenge to get nice slices all the way through...maybe slice accross the grain, in shorter cuts, then, change angle of cut when the grain changes? Just a thought...

Eric

Tom, hate to say it, but that doesn't even look like a flat cut brisket. It looks more like the center section of a packer where the point and flat are separated by the fat layer. Yep, just studied it a bit closer and I can see the meat grains running in two directions, the fat layer, and on the upper portion, I see where the grains change direction with a section of connective tissue.

Is what I'm describing from the pic accurate?

Anyway, looks like it could be a challenge to get nice slices all the way through...maybe slice accross the grain, in shorter cuts, then, change angle of cut when the grain changes? Just a thought...

Eric
I'm planning on cooking it as one, then splitting it before I slice it..

b1b06374_2011-12-0313.25.08.jpg

Sounds like the right plan, Tom. Looks like a winner, so far! Ditto on the taters in the drip pan, too.

Got my snacks and favorite beverage handy........
popcorn.gif
.......uh, OK, this is more like it...
110.gif

Eric

Sounds like the right plan, Tom. Looks like a winner, so far! Ditto on the taters in the drip pan, too.

Got my snacks and favorite beverage handy........
popcorn.gif
.......uh, OK, this is more like it...
110.gif

Eric
You may need a bigger snack and a few more drinks, she stalled 154 for hours. I'm sure happy I did the Tri Tip.for dinner tonight.

After a 4 hour stall at 154 it made it to 160, wraped and on it way to 205.

ce057047_2011-12-0321.18.24.jpg

After 10 hours it made it to 205, I’ll let it rest for a couple hours then in the fridge for the night.

ea1edd4e_2011-12-0323.04.16.jpg

Lookin" good, Tom! 205*, 2-hr rest and off to chill should work out for some dandy 'strami slicing in the morning!

I'll be checking back on this after work Sunday...gotta love a good pastrami story.

Eric

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky