My son and I are assembling the smoker right now!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinfam

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
Indiana
We are just about done with it. Actually my son has done most of the asssembly while I have been typing.
smile.gif
We've decided to make this a Father/Son hobby. We live in Morgantown, IN in a log home. The smoker is a Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain (or GOSM as I have learned) 3005G. It's propane powered, but has a smoker box and water tray. I have NO idea what to do with it now!
icon_question.gif

We would like to pick up some meat, wood chips and whatever else I need and start smoking on Saturday morning. What would be a good setup (meat type, wood chips, etc.) for a first time smoke. Also, I am not sure if I should use just straight water or add something to it. I could start early and smoke all day.
This site is great by the way!
thanks.
- Tim
and Luke (9 yo)

Welcome to SMF, smokinfarm. When I first got my GOSM I cranked the heat all the way up and let it burn off for an hour or so, to make sure there are no nasty oils or anything in there before I used it.

Sign up for the 5 day ecourse...lots of helpful stuff. I would suggest starting with a Butt for pulled pork. Butts are very forgiving, almost impossible to mess one up, and not that expensive. Apple or cherry wood are great with a butt, as well as hickory. Mesquite is a little harsh for pork in my opinion. As far as the water tray yes! it is important to maintain temp. I have added seasonings to my water and it smells fantastic, and I believe adds flavor when you are smoking.

Go to the pork section of the forums and check out the sticky about the Butt smoke that should answer all your questions.

If you need help just ask and a answer will be along shortly.

Keep in mind everyone on here loves Qview.

Welcome to the SMF, be sure to cure your smoker and do you have a remote thermometer with a probe, you will need one. Remember smokin goes by temps and not time

just in case you don't know what Q-View is...............take lots of pics and post em here..............we will even help walk you thru the process of posting pics here..................its summin i needed help with.........and got it fast and good.............thats what is nice bout this place.........

oh by the way.............welcome

dude

Welcome to the SMF.
PDT_Armataz_01_25.gif

Spray the inside with PAM and run about 300 for an hour or so and burn off all the crap inside (seasoning)
Go get a nice 6 or 7 lb butt from the grocery store (Bone in, that's your thermometer)
Slather with yellow mustard and rub
Smoke at 225-250 till about 160 internal, foil and continue until 200+/- and let rest, bone should slide out EASILY!
Pull and enjoy!!
wink.gif

Just use water in the pan and go easy on the chips till you see how to make smoke..............Remember, white puffy smoke is bad smoke!!
PDT_Armataz_01_27.gif

When using a new therm, be sure and test it for calibration. A meat probe in boiling water should read at or near 212*, same probe in ice water should read between 32* and 34*. A true reading therm is crucial to knowing when the maet is properly cooked/smoked. Good luck on the weekend. Do not depend on a stock from the factory therm unless you test it.

what he said............its called TBS summin you will become ware of here soon..........thin blue smoke is the best smoke to emitt from the smoker

dude

Welcome to SMF,Tim n Luke ,and hello from Canada....have fun with your new smoker and don't forget the pics ,we all love the q-view
icon_mrgreen.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Glad to hear from someone else living in Indiana I am from up north Mishawaka to be exact. There are a lot of good people hear so just ask and you will get an answer. Be sure to post a lot of pics of you and your son's smokes
Good Luck and Good Smoking
Redbrinkman1955
icon_lol.gif

Welcome fellas .................... ONE LAST RULE:

Try not to open the door every 3 minutes like i did on my first smoke
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Good luck & keep us posted

Welcome to The SMF Family
icon_exclaim.gif

All good info so far listen to BBQ Bubba He & the Smokin Scotsman got 3rd out of 36 at the Silver Lake Comp with their butt
icon_biggrin.gif

Welcome aboard Tim and Luke! Glad we have a new father/son team joining us... BBQing is a wunnerful thing to share with your son... AWESOME!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Have fun you guys, and keep us posted on your progress!

Depending on your preferences with meat. Pork butts are very forgiving. A lot of people like to start off with ribs. Maybe look over the 3-2-1 method here. Most common smoking woods are hickory, mesquite, and cherry. Pick your favorite and go very light with it. Thin blue smoke - almost invisible blue smoke.

Get a wired probe thermometer to keep an eye on your temps with. Always cook by temp and not time. There are few exceptions, such as ribs 3-2-1 (which is usually altered on time by watching the ribs)

You must do a fatty or two also (Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage right out of the package and into the smoker... try different versions later). Makes a great treat during long smokes.

Good Luck

Hi Tim & Luke!...Welcome to the SMF!...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
...Glad to have y'all Aboard!...

There's lots of GOSM users here, so whatever questions you might have, ask away!...Someone will be along shortly to make answer!!...

It'll get you started off on the right foot...and the price is right to boot!!...

Also...Visit the Downloads page...There's several .pdf files there that'll be of use to you!...

Again...Welcome aboard the SMF!...We're glad to have you in our little family!...

Until later...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky