My Smoker (finally started it.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disturbed724

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 2, 2012
Pittsburgh Pa
Hello, I have been lurking in the shadows for a little while now. I asked a few questions and decided to take the plunge! I found an awesome smoker idea/build that I figured I'd try to build for myself. Its has been a lot of fun so far. I'm pretty green to welding so I figured this would be good practice and a chance to get better. Here are the pics from the first 6 hours of work.

This is the design

The gentleman in the pic is my good friend and supervisor. lol he has experience welding so he definitely helped out a lot! Sorry they are in the wrong order. The smoker is all welded together. Today we'll cut the openings for the grill and fire pit part. I figure I'd clean up the welds and make it look "pretty" on a rainy day. I need to make more progress.

Thanks Hambone! I have a pretty cool paint design and total scheme for it. lol. I just hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew lol.

Update!

Here is the next 6 hours of work. It's really starting to come along now. I can smell the brisket or chicken or ribs cooking now! lol.

EDIT: Does anyone have an idea on how big my exhaust tube should be for letting smoke out? I don't want to get further and mess it up because I needed to make it bigger or smaller. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Lol. ~~"Does anyone have an idea on how big my exhaust tube should be for letting smoke out? I don't want to get further and mess it up because I needed to make it bigger or smaller. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance." no one has an idea? lol I might be in trouble lol.

Look at Feldon's Pit Calculator  put in what you have and it will help you size openings chimney size etc. I wouldn't go less than 3" or 4"  but that is just me, check Feldon's and it will give you an idea. There has been a lot of discussion on stack size and length. A larger dia. stack will evacuate more smoke and heat a lot quicker than the small dia. you just have to find a happy medium that works for your smoker.

gary

Well, She is almost complete. I have to figure out the rest of the exhaust and then seal the doors and season her up!

Hey, I was wondering, the heating exhaust tubes are ok to use for exhaust right?

Reactions: pork dork
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky