My simple meatloaf recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buzzard

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
it took me a long time to find a simple recipe that did not contain catsup. i do not like catsup, never have. do not know why. i know i am probably banned from this site for that statement.

i found this simple recipe on www.allrecipes.com and it is some of the best meatloaf i have ever had. figured i would share it with you. up till i found this site i did not like meatloaf either, probably cause most people put catsup in it.

1 1/4 pounds ground beef
4 (4 ounce) links Italian sausage, casings removed (i use sweet)
1 egg, beaten
1 small green bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup dry hot wheat cereal
1/2 cup milk
1 dash Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste

i form mine about 1-1.5 inches tall and make it square id spell the long style square if i could spell it.

the italian sausage makes it soooo sweet....mmmmmmm

just though i would share with the class. i dont want to unless its worth your time

Hey Buzzard I may give that a try. I am doing my first meatloaf this sunday. I have printed about a 1/2 dozen recipes off of here for meat loaf including yours a minute ago. I just have to pick one!!

I really like the sound of the loafs with sausage in them :D

DEER MEAT

you will not be disapointed. you can do what i did and make 2 or 3 at one time using different recipes till i found one i liked best.

i will still try different ones from time to time.

Not liking catsup is no big deal, Buzz. Can't see why that would get ya banned. Besides, who's gonna ban ya other than Tulsa Jeff or me? :twisted:

Ya mean that "rectangle" word? I know ya been wantin' and needing a spell-checker, Buzz-if you're still interested, send me a pm.

I have a meatloaf recipe very similar to the one you posted. The only difference is mine calls for 1/2 cup dried Italian seasoned bread crumbs in place of the hot wheat cereal. So I don't have to mess around with the sausage casings on the Sweet Italian sausage links, I just buy a pound of the Sweet Italian bulk sausage instead.

I have a silly question :?

I have seen this in different posts in recipes.

catsup/ ketchup are they one in the same with different spelling or two different creatures all together.

Iknow pretty dumb question :oops:

well the bulk idea is great!! would make my life easier, but then i wouldnt have a snack for later with the last brat. now its a tough idea.

on the catsup thing, i understand how important that stuff is to you all. i get shamed everytime i bring it up in new company. the worst part is they always notice when you say no thank you, and ask why not.
so i figured someone out there would be apauled.

the cream of wheat gives it a good sweet taste like the italian sausage, but a little different. give it a try it is pretty dang gone good

that is a good question Deer Meat.

the way i look at it is Ketchup usually has fancy on the bottle. i think its just the spelling that makes it fancy. its just tomato paste with vinigar and surgar, how fancy can you get.

Deer Meat, for the recipes you see on here they are the same thing. I'm not sure which spelling is correct or if one isn't correct.

Buzzard, I'm gonna pay Dutch a case of extra fancy ketchup too ban your butt. :shock: Doesn't like ketchup.
wink.gif
:D

Chad, a case of extra fancy ketchup ain't gonna do it. Them bottles gotta be PURE GOLD and even then, I'll have to think about it.

I don't like ketchup much myself but I'll use it in recipes that call for it. But as a condiment-you can keep it. Don't have much use for steak sauce either unless all the flavor has been cooked out of it and the only way that you can tell it apart from shoe sole leather is cuz the steak is hot. :P

For brats or Italian sausage it's spicy German mustard with onions and/or sauerkraut.

Burgers it's yellow mustard, relish, onion slices and a couple of 'mater slices.

i am the exact same way when it comes too foods. i really dont like dipping sauces at all but i have too on brats.

i found this excellent mustard at Sams Club

its called

beer and brat horseradish mustard (the horseradish is written a lot smaller then the rest of the words) it is made by Silver Spring

it is some of the finest mustard i have had yet

Gold? Well, I ain't givin' up all my bottles of gold.
wink.gif
I'd forgot about putting that on here. I don't want rid of 'ol Buzzard anyway.

I'm on your guys side anyhow, not much use for ketchup at all. Use it w/ fries or onion rings a little. I keep steak sauce, but not for steak. A properly seasoned and prepared quality steak doesn't need it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky