MY sausage attempt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

walking dude

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 5, 2007
Des Moines, IOWA
okay..........i used about a 50% venison.....40% butt....and 10% fatback

i used the highmountain summer sausage kit..........its abit salty for me, and after i use up all this, will do a homemade recipe

first grind and mix

messyhandshf1.jpg

i don't have a second grind pic but this is us hand stuffing the casings

handstuffingxr4.jpg

i used a canning funnel to help get the meat into the casing

canningfunnelgy4.jpg

the kit said it would do 30lbs of meat........and included 10 casings.......so i figured then that each casing would hold 3 lbs of meat...........NOT! ! !

i have some left over after stuffing 3 casings.......so i stuffed another casing, but then tied it off twice, so i could cut it, and still have another smaller casing to use later

doublecasingpe3.jpg

all the meat stuffed waiting to be smoked

readyforthesmokermo1.jpg

here is how i hung em, using paper clips to hang from the rack in my ecb

readyforsmoker2kg5.jpg

since my ecb wasn't deep enuff to hang these in......i had to do a RICHTEE, (thankx for your pics of your ecb squared setup dude)........i have 3 reg. old ecbs.........so i used one to set on top........the legs fit perfect inside my ecb gourmet......if fit VERY tightly.......so no worries of either the wind or happenstance of it tipping over

ecbsquared3ln1.jpg

i added heat at 120 for a hour to dry the casings.....then added smoke and raised temps to 140 for a hour, then 160 for a half hour, then 180-200 to finish to internals of 153........fighting to stabilize temps, all in all, bout 7 hour total smoke

finishedzo7.jpg

i washed in hot water to clean the casings, then a icewater bath to reduce internal temps to 100, then hung for 2 hours before placing in the refridgerator overnite

i didn't want to slice the small one in half just to show a pic.......so here is a slice........i need a better digi-cam as you can see

aslicehf5.jpg

all in all, a GREAT learning expericence......wasn't happy with the texture.....but that was my fault, since i forgot to fine grind the fatback.......if i had, i wouldn't of needed a second finer grind.........

but i vacuumed packed two of the three, one of them for my moms birthday gift, one for later.........and the small one and one of the larger ones, for us to munch on during the coming days.......

enjoy

Looks good WD I am looking forward to trying some SS myself

Theres that belly AGAIN-suck it in dude-the sausage looks good-I hear to much about to salty in here-whats up with that? and don't rince caseings in hot water always cold.and yes try a homeaid recipi-you will love them.

SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOTHHHHHHHHHHHHHH?? ? ? ? ? ?

my grinder broke JUST as i finished the second grind..........i was going to use it to stuff.........thats why i had to hand stuff...........hand stuffing is fine, with these larger casings.........but sure wouldn't work doing beef sticks or brats............lolololol

i believe the too much saltiness comes from the kit spices.........

so when i get thru this batch that was in the kit........will be making my own

by the way............i found my instructions on my grinder........6 month warrenty.........and its only been 5 months.........SO......i am SUPPOSSED to be getting a new one here in the next month or so

Well how was I supposed to know about the grinder breaking and such. From the OP the only challenge looked to be the ECB squared. At any rate the end result looks good.

true plac........i posted my problems on this whole ordeal in other threads........you musta missed em, but deserlites knew...........heheheh

didn't burp AT all......had to chase airpockets thru the whole thing.........on two of em............missed the very ends of em...........bottoms i should say, in relation on how i stuffed em..........

yeah ken.........i would of liked a bit of a courser grind.........but since i spaced off fine grinding the added fat, had no choice but to regrind the second time..........

tho i did learn a trick.......twisting the casings to compact the meat, worked real well

Glad the canning funnel worked for ya. Real glad to hear about the grinder under warranty. When I smoke my summer sausage I lay it flat on the grates, havent had a problem. If I make a lot I hang them in the big smoker but I don't use that much, to big. Naw not to big, just don't make 100 lbs fo SS that oftem. I like the Eastman seasonings. Not to much salt. Anyway glad it worked out for ya.

geob

a pin ***** in the air pockets after stuffed and in hang stage-before going on the smoker-removes the air.and the caseing heals itself.

Hey wd, nice job on them sausage! Given all the trouble you had you will enjoy them that much more, specially seens how you made um! Notice you was wearin plastic gloves for pertection, might outa put a hair net on that belly friend!

Glad to hear your gettin a new grinder under warranty, sucks when the toys break. Again, nice job on that SS.

eeeehhhhh dude, hope you didnt get any chest hair in the ss??? is that some sort of eyeweeejun sausage trick or what??? haha any way looks pretty good, woulda looked better with out the tummy though
eek.gif

Looks great WD. But would look better if they were in my kitchen ......Yummy....LOL
Andy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky