my rib sauce recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ralphed

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
Beloit, OH
OK, I'll throw this recipe out for comments, 'cause that's how you learn. Thanks in advanced for your comments.

I like vinegar sauces with black and/or red pepper and came up with this as my work in progress.

1 cup white vinegar

1 1/2 cup water

1 TBSP Hungarian sweet paprika. I like Penzey's or Purcell Mtn Farms.

3/4 tsp penzey's Vietnamese cinnamon

1 1/2 TBSP raw cane sugar

1/4 tsp garlic powder

1/4 tsp onion powder

1/2 tsp fine ground black pepper

4 allspice berries, whole

3 cloves

1/4 tsp kosher salt

I likw a lot of heat, but I haven't added any to this recipe yet because I like to come up with recipes all can enjoy and then use them as a base for my recipe - a few habaneros and some salemme pepper would go well with the allspice and cinnamon. (Google Salemme Pepper Co.)

I age it for at least a few weeks in the fridge because it's better that way. The spices need time. I should crack the allspice.

I have to scale the recipe up to a gallon.

I also want to try some apple cider vinegar that a local farmer makes. I've got a 1/2 gallon of it. It prolly won't need cut like the store stuff 'cause it's way different. Its raw and has a real earthy taste. I mean like he must use a wooden barrel and didn't washed the apples -I have to ask him in the spring when I see him again.

Ed

1/4 teaspoon of garlic, onion and salt is not enough IMHO. Pepper is light as well.

This seems like it is going to be a very thin rib sauce.

I would substitute apple cider vinegar for the distilled vinegar.

Cinnamon, allspice and cloves together will over power any other flavors. Personally, I would lose the cloves and one of the others, probably the allspice.

Use tomato sauce or ketchup in place of the water for more flavor and bulk.

JM2C.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky