My office wants me to cook for 100 people Pics added

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tom c

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
Orlando, FL
I cooked 12 lbs of Boston Butt that ended up being 6 lbs of pulled pork for a birthday party at work today for 20 but only 18 showed up.  I’m lucky that no one else showed up because there wasn’t enough left for a mouse to enjoy.  It went over so big, now the office wants me to cook at a celebration at the end of the month for 100 people.

Where I need help is, I have no clue how much to cook for this many people.

Menu would consist of pulled pork or pulled pork and chicken thighs, coleslaw, and baked beans. I was thinking if it was just pulled pork I would need around 80 lbs of uncooked butts (40 lbs after cooking).  If it is pulled pork and chicken thighs, 50 lbs of butts and 100 thighs.  I have absolutely no clue how much coleslaw and baked beans or even how many buns I would need.

I thank you in advance for any help you can offer

I've cooked for that number of people before, just never did all the planning.

So how is the ratio being planned? If you go for traditonal you need to plan on everyone eating some of both.

You can plan on a 40% shrink on the pork. What are you doing for sides? Are you doing plates or sandwiches

We really need lots of info to help you  

Tom, your numbers for cooked meats are about right...4/10lb per person for PP...5oz or 1/3lb is about the standard most folks go with, so 4/10lb should give a bit of extra. The chix thigh/PP combo is a good number as well, and gives a bit extra if most would like a thigh and a sandwich.

For sides, figure 1/3lb as well, so if you have a coleslaw recipe which uses lb measures, you can adjust easily. If it's cup measures, figure on loosely chopped coleslaw weighing 7oz/cup, not 8, then if 1oz wet ingredients are added per cup, you'll have 1/2lb per cup. Anyway, go for about 33-35lbs per 100. Beans, if canned, go by the weight on the can plus whatever you use to modify them (such as Dutch's recipe). If you buy food service size cans, the 7lb-5oz can (un-modified) should be enough for 22 people, so if heavily modified, 4 cans would be about the right amount (not everyone likes beans due to flatulence...LOL!!!).

Buns or rolls...at least 100, but I'd shoot for an extra 20%, just in case someone wants their thigh as a sandwich (excellent way to eat yard bird, IMHO). You may want to have an assortment of whole-wheat, white, sourdough, onion, etc, for varied tastes...they'd love you for giving them a bit more personal touch like that.

Have you got drinks covered? Non-alcoholic, I presume? (most companies don't allow it on premisis is why I mentioned it). Iced tea goes well most of the time, but depends on the weather this time of year...rainy season started here right now, so probably some hot drinks and cold drinks, but, you're in Florida, so cold probably works for any occasion.

OK, so, 1/3lb per person for meat, 2 sides and a dinner roll/bun for each (with a few % extra), plus beverages.

Have you enough cooker space? Doing some smoked and some grilled? Are you cooking ahead and reheating in roaster ovens/crock pots? Do you have enough fridge space for prepared sides and raw or pre-cooked meats? Just some things I consider every time I plan an event. Don't forget coolers and ice as a back-up for refer space...just be sure everything will stay dry.

I think that covers most everything...doing all of the meal is a big chore, so breaking it down by task and food type will help keep it from becoming so overwhelming. Also, ask someone for a bit of help with coleslaw or potato salad prep...that's labor intensive work getting those ready. Canned beans are easy and pretty quick to modify for a bit of extra twist, so don't sweat the beans much.

It can be done, especially with a littlew help on the sides prep...planned a 2-day, 6-meal family reunion a couple years back, and after seeing it all on the computer monitor, right down to the cooker space I would need, and when I would need it, and what would be tied up...sometimes that's the only way to be able to visualize it. Write up a plan if you think cooker space may be an issue, and then you'll be able to decide if any changes are needed.

Eric

Last edited:
Eric gave good advice but I would go with 120 Thighs...Chix is Popular with the folks that think PP isn't the "Other White Meat". And plan on 1 ounce of BBQ Sauce, I would go with a style that's popular in your area but a Sweet and Tangy one will cover most folks, for the number of PP Sammies AND Chix Thighs...JJ

Good luck to you and don't forget your secret weapon....DELEGATE!

Assign someone to buy the buns- give them specific instructions. If your place has a cafeteria, coordinate with the manager to supply the drinks, cups and ice. While your at it, the paper plates, cutlery and napkins too. If you don't have a full service cafeteria, delegate this too.

Don't overlook the fact that you are ultimately responsible for everything (by agreeing to do the cooking) so make sure you delegate to folks who will do it right.

Good luck to you and also assign a company picture taker so you can share with us!                   
icon14.gif

grilling_smilie.gif

I really want to thank you all for your replies.

The celebration will be Monday te 31 at noon in a conference room. I will be precooking the Pork Saturday, and Sunday, and the Chicken Monday morring then reheating on site. By spacing out the meat cooking over the three days I have now than enought cooking space. I will be using my Char-griller pro with side fire box. The cooking chanber has been heavily modified, the temp is very even across the cooking area. I added a propane burner in the fire box so I have consist cooking temp. I could fit 10 butt in there, but think I would be better if I split it into 2 cooking of 4 or 5 butts each. Cooking the chicken on Monday will give me the space I need.    

The side will simple as possible, modify caned beans and a simple coleslaw.  

Im with Rivet delegate! Do you guys get those chicken thigh cutlets over your way that have bone in as a sort of handle? Might make for easier eat along with lots of napkins .Or do some sort of skewer deal with thigh meat as 1 chix option ,spicy sate peanut sauce ,cook them fast & furious &/ or delegate some of preparation. Impatient types can get a snack early while your busy.

Theres obviously people here with a lot of valuable experience with big numbers.Ive done 30 but that was in my own backyard with wood fired oven & lots of help & alcohol. 

Good luck

Eric gave good advice but I would go with 120 Thighs...Chix is Popular with the folks that think PP isn't the "Other White Meat". And plan on 1 ounce of BBQ Sauce, I would go with a style that's popular in your area but a Sweet and Tangy one will cover most folks, for the number of PP Sammies AND Chix Thighs...JJ

Trust me  JJ is right - I did an office function recently and had enough chicken for each person and should have had more. Smoked at home for almost an hour then took them to the office and finished on the grill.  We did 1/2# of pork and one piece of chicken for each person with 6 sides and we ran out of food by the end of the second hour

The largest group that I have cooked for was 75 - 80 people.

The numbers above sound spot on especially the extra chicken...... BUT......

Add 10 to 15% more Pork for the "daaaaaaaaammmnnnnn that was good.... I want some more" factor.

I would suggest getting the whole leg thigh quarters instead of the plain thighs.

100 leg thigh quarters, leave 50 whole and cut the other 50 apart.

Some will only want the PP, some only the chicken and will chose the whole leg thigh combo.

Some will be the dainty office girl that can barely carry a pencil (((giggle))) and she'll want just a leg.

Then there's the people like me that will want the pork and a whole quarter..... then go back for another sammy and a thigh..... then grab a leg when no one is looking...... and maybe a snack sammy after that.

I tend to over compensate on the meat and not so much on the sides.

Speaking of sides.... Those half ears of corn on the cob work well too. Easy to boil on site. Soak in sugar water ahead of time to sweeten them up then cook. For outdoors events having a turkey fryer right there and pop the already boiled ears in for a quick sizzle and caramelization to beautiful golden brown puts it over the top.

If you end up with 10 pounds of PP and a dozen chicken quarters left over, the people putting on the shin dig will gladly take the leftovers home. Have spare small aluminum pans on hand to divvy up and send the leftovers home with them.

The leftover sides will only go to waste so have plenty but don't overdo. Also have pans on hand for these but when home they'll go in the fridge, then get shoved to the back, then next week go in the trash untouched.

Congrats! on getting their attention with your grub!

I think the message from the very learned members is go big or go home! They are on the money,your crew already like your food,you already know you can cook so if the boss is paying nobody is going to bitch about too much of a good thing. Good luck.

The day is here I've made a list and I think check it 100 times, I hope the rain will miss us!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky