My new ECB , a family affair

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

williamzanzinger

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 21, 2007
Williamsville Ny
Ill start the q view with the reason I HAD to re-up on my el Cheapo. I had revived her doing a couple of chickens with awesome results with a cookie cooling rack as my Grate. I made the mistake of upping the anti with a 5-6# prime rib. Figuered a few turns and id have the crispness I was looking for. Went inside for 10 minutes tops, when I came back out, the grate had bent and the rib was entrenched in flame atop the coals. I did finish cooking it and carved away the creosote crust and we ate. Not good. So i decided I needed to refurbish.

So today at wlmart I put out the 30 bucks they were asking and got a new one. My 8 year old son put it together. My 12 year old son made the ABTs start to finish(of course I smoked). While he was doing them I was curing her. Later we fired up the pan again and roasted the abts. Damn. I got to say they were the best Ive EVER had. As convienient as electric is, nothing beats hardwood coals and hickory pieces.

Took them off, couple more coals nad now I consider her ready for something else. In with the baby backs-mustard ,rub and fennel seeds(most of them will fall off but not before imparting thier flavor)
Ill post thier finished q with taste results.

Looks great and a nice family project with good food as the result
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Ouch! Sorry about the prime fuel! Those cake coolers ain't made to be that hot or loaded I guess.

Fennel seeds?? Huh... interesting. Don't much care for fennel seed, altho I'll grab a stick of it and munch once in a while. Makes me think tho, about the flavor absorbtion. They are a strong flavored spice for sure!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky