My Meatloaf Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gunslinger

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
1 lb Ground beef
1 lb Pork or turkey sausage
1 C uncooked instant rice
1 large onion, diced
2 eggs
2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 C milk
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper

Mix it all together, put in loaf pan, bake at 425º for 1 1/2 hours or to 175º for pork, 170º for turkey, or 160º for straight ground beef.

-or-

Smoke till done. We all know how to do this.
Be careful with the smoke though. The rice takes it on very good and can easily taste over smoked.

If you like, you can top with a mixture of 1 can tomato soup, 2 Tbs lemon juice, and 2 Tbs brown sugar.

The rice makes a good filler, just like bread crumbs, but I think the rice retains moisture better.

looks good, I'd not use the garlic salt, instead I'd put in about 4-6 toes of garlic minced and some garlic croutons to keep the mix sticking togethor instead of the rice...but I see where you go with it.....did I say garlic???? he he he......also some red onion is awsome in there..........don't make me get momma to throw in one of her recipes that made me actually start eating meatloaf again!

Trust me on the rice. I've had it with everything, it's better with the rice. You can't taste the rice because it takes on the flavor of everything else. It's merely a filler and a moisture retainer. Think about how much water it takes for rice to absorb before it's tender. You don't need anything but the egg to bind it. Egg cooks fast, that's why we like it as a binder.

Smoked -

I always use rice in my meatloaf and no bread crumbs or cracker crumbs. Mama used to used bread or cracker crumbs and it was great but it dried out easily. I use rice and it's NEVER dry.

Only difference between mine and Tom's is I use cooked rice not dry, but I don't add any liquid either. The egg will hold it together!

icon_smile.gif

yea, well the little lady here uses garlic croutons....never ever had a dry loaf from her....but we also load it up with garlic and other goodies!!!!! she said she will have to make one and we can smoke it....... was gonna do a ham tomorrow but neighbor is beggin to go throw darts, so I just cleand out the smoker tonight and will reseason it tomorrow.....then the ham on monday.......

icon_rolleyes.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky