My latest whole turkey with Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

missmechante

Original poster
May 23, 2008
Here's the turkey I mentioned in my Roll Call post...I love smoked turkey! The meat is so versatile, and the bones make the best stock, gives a great smoky flavor to greens or gravy or soup.

Did it a little differently this time....I usually brine them, but this time I realized I was out of kosher salt, so I gave it a good rubdown with my homemade dry rub and put it in the fridge overnight. In the morning I picked some herbs out of the garden and mixed them with soft butter, then crammed a bunch of that under the skin. I like to loosen the skin all over the breast and thigh area with a chopstick so I can get the butter all over the meat under the skin. Then since I had the bacon out already to make some ABTs, I put a few strips over the breast (first time trying this). I smoke em breast up.

Smoked about 5 hours, spraying with apple juice now and then. I also did not soak the chips....I usually do, but after reading some threads on the forum I tried using them dry. I think it worked even better! Fantastic smoky flavor and I used less wood than usual. The bacon was great, super smoky and toothy texture.

Don't know why I didn't take a picture of the ABTs (first batch ever) but there will be plenty more to come in the future, I'm going to make some every time I smoke! Did a simple filling of chorizo and shredded cheddar. Did not precook the sausage, and it came out perfectly done.

2 of my dawgs hoping to get lucky!

That looks great! I haven't tried turkey yet, but it will come in time. Still trying to get control of the smoker. Them hounds look they're ready for some grub.

Excellent q-view. Look forward to more.

turkey looks good, i doin a brined one today, hope comes out looking as good as yours, great job!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky