My Jerky Plan - Input Please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crazyboy

Original poster
Oct 12, 2013
NJ
Good morning Folks,

I'm planning my first beef jerky go in my MES.  I'm planning on going with a london broil, freezing it for an hour before slicing into ~1/8" slices.  I will then place in bags in the fridge with different flavors of the Hi Mountain Jerky Seasoning & Cure for 24 hours.  I will pull it out and let it sit on some paper towel before hanging in the smoker to get some of the moisture off.  I'm thinking I'll toss it in the smoker at 130 for an hour.  Is it safe to bump the temp up to like 180 for the next 45 minutes so the smoker will make some smoke, and then drop back down to 130 to finish the drying?  Should I try to get some chunks burning in a pan for smoke instead so I don't have to bump the temp up?  I plan on doing the bend test.  How long should I plan on this taking, just need to make sure I plan my day accordingly.

I appreciate any input, I really want this to be a success.  Thanks.

Bumping the temp sounds good to me..... That's what it takes to make smoke on the MES.... or get the AMNPS....

No water in the pan and vents wide open...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky