My jackleg cold smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

haywire haywood

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 10, 2014
Now don't be too rough on me... Haha..   propane turkey fryer, cast iron pot, flexible exhaust pipe from the auto parts store routed to an amazon box (not shown) for a smoking chamber.  My normal modus operandi is to spend money on equipment to try something then selling it a year later at 30 cents on the dollar.  If this doesn't hold my attention I'll just toss the amazon box on the burn pile.  I'm going to try cold smoking bacon in this contraption.  I still need to put that metal pipe in the sink and clean it of any oil that came on it.

Well, first attempt was a bust.  The chips actually caught on fire and the temp spiked to 140.

Edit: Attempt 2.  Wrapped the new chips up in aluminum foil and poked a few holes in the top to limit oxygen access.  Maybe they'll just smoke now.

Last edited:
Success.  the foil bag worked.  Had to open the hole up to about half an inch but then got plenty of smoke and the box never broke 70 deg.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky