My Homemade Salami with Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jr.s

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Made some of my Homemade Salami last night...here are some pics. This is made with part Venison burger, and part Beef burger, but will work just fine with Beef only. Most everyone who tastes it LOVES it! It takes about 4 and 1/2 hours in my Masterbuilt Electric.

It's small, it's not really for a Sandwich, it's more of a 'snack' salami. We eat it with cheese or crackers, or just by itself.

If anyone wants the recipe I would be happy to post it here.
7e121868_vbattach19283.jpg

489b09bc_vbattach19282.jpg

Please post it, I would like to make a larger one for sammies.

Thanks.

Ron

Nice! Hey... for an improved shape...roll in tinfoil- allows an even roll and you can ALMOST square up the edges. Ever roll the log thru coarse ground black pepper for a nice finish and a good heat?

That looks like some tasty stuff!

That looks great by all means post the recipe I'm sure many of us would appreciate it.

Here it is:

5 lbs ground beef or venison (I like using half of each)
5 Rounded (heaping) tsp Tender Quick
2 1/2 tsp mustard seed
2 1/2 tsp garlic powder (I usually use more!)
2 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
Whole Peppercorns (However many you think...small handfull?)
1 tsp hickory smoke salt
1 tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Chili Powder

I like extra flavor, so I usually go back and add a little more of everything. I had a batch one time that didn't seem to have much flavor, so I always try to add a little more of everything.

Mix everything in a large bowl and cover and put in the fridge. Take out every day for about four days and mix it really well with your hands. On the fourth day, take out and roll into small rolls....the recipe says about 2 1/2 inch rolls, I think mine are about 4 1/2 inches long, and a couple of inches across. They should like like a grill full of something you took out of the Dog Kennel when you're finished!

(I've never tried it, but wonder how it would cook to make a BIG roll, one big enough to slice and put on a sandwich? If anyone tries that, let me know....)

I use a Masterbuilt Electric, I start it at 200 degrees with a pretty good handful of chips to get some good smoke flowing....once it's smoking pretty good and up to 200, I turn it down to 190 and put the meat in. (I do that because it cooks pretty fast, and I want to get a nice smoke flavor....)

Then just let it smoke for about 4 1/2 hours, depending on your smoker. I rotate the grills once because my smoker don't always cook real even. The temp on the meat goes up to 160 or so pretty fast, but with my smoker at 190 the meat seems to stay at that temp for quite awhile. (Which is what I want it to do so I can get some nice smoke flavor.) After 4 hours, I crank the smoker back up to 200 for the last 30 minutes, and that jumps the meat up over 170 and I pull it out.

It's good when it's hot, but the flavor seems to get better as it cools. Break this stuff out at a party and the 5 lbs will disappear pretty quick. It freezes great, we just freeze 'em 2 to a package....although 2 rolls don't go very far!

I've been making this stuff for about 20 years, be sure and post any cool variations you have on this, I'd like to try them.

I'll be anxious to hear how everyone likes it.....

Thanks for the recipe, I also wonder how it comes out in a bigger roll, or better yet stuffed into a casing.

Just wondering if anyone has tried the recipie? If so, how did you like it?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky