My handmade mash paddle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The image was not available.  How do you like your paddle so far?  I habe been thinking about building one, but have not really had the need until I started making 10 gallon batches of a high gravity ale.  That thick full mash gets harder to stir then and bends plastic brewing spoons easily.

b1333d12_DSC01114-1.jpg

I can't get the image to open either but Kaiser...the one in your pic is niiiiice! 
biggrin.gif
 I need one of those!

cool.gif

Now you won't get very far with that paddle chef. Oh you said a mash paddle is that for the kids?? Just kidding you did one fine job chef.

Last edited:
Thanks MBalli, when I designed it, I wanted something different, so I made the 2-row barley design with a paper template that I traced on. I bought the jig-saw specifically for making the paddle. This was my first ever paddle, and I had very little wood working experience, so I think it's easy enough for anyone to do, should you find a need. 

I usually do 5 gallon batches, and I love having a paddle to stir the mash especially for big beers with a malt bill greater than 10 lbs. The Tung Oil finish is really holding up well after almost 2 years of use. 

well I cant see the picture, but whats a mash paddle?
A mash paddle, to answer your question, is a stirring paddle that mixes barley grains that have been crushed to ensure that there are no dough balls and gets everything to a nice even temperature so that the starches in the grain can convert into sugars which then can be drained from the mash tank, boiled and fermented into beer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky