My handmade mash paddle

Discussion in 'Beer & Ale' started by zepicurean, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Thought you guys might enjoy seeing this. It's hard maple treated with Tung oil. I made it all with a jig saw. 

2. bigmatt

bigmatt Newbie

The image was not available.  How do you like your paddle so far?  I habe been thinking about building one, but have not really had the need until I started making 10 gallon batches of a high gravity ale.  That thick full mash gets harder to stir then and bends plastic brewing spoons easily.

3. fftwarren

fftwarren Smoking Fanatic

well I cant see the picture, but whats a mash paddle?

4. kaiser

kaiser Smoke Blower

[​IMG]

5. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I can't get the image to open either but Kaiser...the one in your pic is niiiiice!  [​IMG]  I need one of those!

6. That's my paddle! How did you get the picture to post! Thank you!

Glad you like it Cowgirl!

7. sqwib

sqwib Smoking Guru OTBS Member

8. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

You did a nice job on it!  Looks great! [​IMG]

9. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Now you won't get very far with that paddle chef. Oh you said a mash paddle is that for the kids?? Just kidding you did one fine job chef.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  10. Thanks MBalli, when I designed it, I wanted something different, so I made the 2-row barley design with a paper template that I traced on. I bought the jig-saw specifically for making the paddle. This was my first ever paddle, and I had very little wood working experience, so I think it's easy enough for anyone to do, should you find a need. 

I usually do 5 gallon batches, and I love having a paddle to stir the mash especially for big beers with a malt bill greater than 10 lbs. The Tung Oil finish is really holding up well after almost 2 years of use. 

11. ak1

ak1 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

And, I thought it was for mashed potatos!!!

12. bigmatt

bigmatt Newbie

A mash paddle, to answer your question, is a stirring paddle that mixes barley grains that have been crushed to ensure that there are no dough balls and gets everything to a nice even temperature so that the starches in the grain can convert into sugars which then can be drained from the mash tank, boiled and fermented into beer.

13. bigmatt

bigmatt Newbie

Sorry for the longest run-on sentence ever...