My GOSM has got new wheels

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

j-rod

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
White Pine, TN
Made a couple of simple mods to my GOSM and wanted to share the pics. First, I keep my GOSM in the garage when it isn't in use but I have to carry/drag it outside when it is time smoke so I installed some casters to make things easier.

Second, I smoked about 6 racks of ribs a couple of weeks ago and noticed that the slabs on the bottom were getting done alot faster than the racks on top. I did some research in the forums and one of you guys gave me some great pics and a website (http://www.kck.com/bbq_pit_grill_thermometer.html) to pickup and extra thermometer. I found that temps in the top of the unit could vary 15-25 degrees from the bottom. This really helps me to adjust the cooking times accordingly.

These are some pretty simple mods, thanks for all the help. I am sorry I can't remember the screen names for everyone who helped me out, I want to give credit where credit is due.

JROD

That is a great idea!!! Mine also stays in the garage when I'm not using it. So thanks for sharing
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

The charcoal GOSM is twice as heavy as the propane model. I would love to put wheels on it, but being on a dirt floor, that won't work for me.
PDT_Armataz_01_07.gif

Wheels are a great idea. I have a similar unit, the CCSV and have the same problem. I bought the wheels in the fall, just have to find the time to put them on, lol.

That is exactly what I have planned to do when I mine comes in. Is that a Big Block or Wide Body? If you did it again would you do anything different?

Nice job mister handyguy!. Where you able to drill through the GOSM legs to bolt them, without breaking the spot weld? Is so, any special way of doing so?

I thought about adding tires to mine but can't find any tire chains that small to fit. Probably would get stuck in all this snow.

It is the wide body GOSM and they definetly don't make it easy to attach anything to those spindly legs. I drilled two holes on each side of the spot weld in the widest part of the metal to attach. It was tight work getting nuts and bolts through but everything worked out o.k.

I also bolted caster wheels to my GOSM. Makes it very easy to roll out from the garage. I did have to reinforce the sides to keep the legs sturdy. Any ideas on a grease pan in the bottom?? I am thinking of making a removable one that can be taken out and cleaned instead of getting all the grease to drop down and leak out the bottom of smoker.

J-BEE, I don't have any secrets but I really don't know what to tell you. My grandfather grew up in the great depression so anything he has gotten his hands on in the past 83 years he has held on to. I found some scrap stainless to use for the braces and he came up with the wheels. Just took them apart and added some heavy grease, they were as good as new.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky