My GOSM has got new wheels

Discussion in 'Propane Smokers' started by j-rod, Feb 7, 2008.

1. j-rod

j-rod Fire Starter

Made a couple of simple mods to my GOSM and wanted to share the pics. First, I keep my GOSM in the garage when it isn't in use but I have to carry/drag it outside when it is time smoke so I installed some casters to make things easier.

Second, I smoked about 6 racks of ribs a couple of weeks ago and noticed that the slabs on the bottom were getting done alot faster than the racks on top. I did some research in the forums and one of you guys gave me some great pics and a website (http://www.kck.com/bbq_pit_grill_thermometer.html) to pickup and extra thermometer. I found that temps in the top of the unit could vary 15-25 degrees from the bottom. This really helps me to adjust the cooking times accordingly.

These are some pretty simple mods, thanks for all the help. I am sorry I can't remember the screen names for everyone who helped me out, I want to give credit where credit is due.

2. smokeys my pet

smokeys my pet Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Nice wheels you got. HE HE!!!!!!!!!!! I bet that will help alot to move around!!!!!!!!!

3. white cloud

white cloud Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Good Idea, sometimes a pain taking from one place to another. Do you have to use caster oil?

4. blacklab

blacklab Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

JROD

That is a great idea!!! Mine also stays in the garage when I'm not using it. So thanks for sharing [​IMG]

5. philthysmoker

philthysmoker Fire Starter

I will be putting another temp probe in, good job on them wheels

white cloud your killing me [​IMG]

6. flash

flash Smoking Guru OTBS Member

The charcoal GOSM is twice as heavy as the propane model. I would love to put wheels on it, but being on a dirt floor, that won't work for me. [​IMG]

7. ron50

ron50 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

NY
    Wheels are a great idea. I have a similar unit, the CCSV and have the same problem. I bought the wheels in the fall, just have to find the time to put them on, lol.

8. av8tor

av8tor Meat Mopper

That is exactly what I have planned to do when I mine comes in. Is that a Big Block or Wide Body? If you did it again would you do anything different?

9. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nice job mister handyguy!. Where you able to drill through the GOSM legs to bolt them, without breaking the spot weld? Is so, any special way of doing so?

10. Flash, you could actually get some larger, like 4" numatic, casters and they should roll over your dirt floor

11. fred420

fred420 Meat Mopper

great mods..i'll bee doing these to my gosm....

12. white cloud

white cloud Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I thought about adding tires to mine but can't find any tire chains that small to fit. Probably would get stuck in all this snow.

13. bustedluckbarbq

bustedluckbarbq Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

good mods... now "roll" out some qview... lol

14. kookie

kookie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Nice looking mods..........

Kookie

15. j-rod

j-rod Fire Starter

It is the wide body GOSM and they definetly don't make it easy to attach anything to those spindly legs. I drilled two holes on each side of the spot weld in the widest part of the metal to attach. It was tight work getting nuts and bolts through but everything worked out o.k.

16. bbq bubba

bbq bubba Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Nice mod J Rod..............lol [​IMG]

17. flash

flash Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Well, I really have no need to move mine, although I do tip it over when threaten with hurricanes [​IMG]

18. Pssst. I promise I wont' tell anyone. What did you use for the braces, and wheels? Looks like Stainless steel.[​IMG]
    JB

19. I also bolted caster wheels to my GOSM. Makes it very easy to roll out from the garage. I did have to reinforce the sides to keep the legs sturdy. Any ideas on a grease pan in the bottom?? I am thinking of making a removable one that can be taken out and cleaned instead of getting all the grease to drop down and leak out the bottom of smoker.

20. j-rod

j-rod Fire Starter

J-BEE, I don't have any secrets but I really don't know what to tell you. My grandfather grew up in the great depression so anything he has gotten his hands on in the past 83 years he has held on to. I found some scrap stainless to use for the braces and he came up with the wheels. Just took them apart and added some heavy grease, they were as good as new.