My First UDS build Complete

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
yes I got a drum ring and that's actually what am using to tighten the lid. its just a lot of work as its bolt and nut.

the thing is the lid keeps popping up... its not even sitting properly. either the drum has lost the shape or the lid... how do I fix this? or should I look for a new lid or make a new lid?

Perhaps get a piece of sheet metal and attach it to the inside of the drum so that it extends past the top rolled ring some. My first attempt at a UDS leaked like a sieve from the top. The rolled ring was far from perfect. With the dent you have towards the top it is probably just slightly deformed....

Also you may want to take a crescent wrench to the outside edge of the lid and open it up some....

do you have a picture of what you did?

I was trying to tighten the outside of the lid to help it clip.. you are right I should open it up more and just have it sit on top... I still have the outside ring that came with the drum and I have been using it to clip it tight

After enlarging your pic. I see that the drum is dented......Perhaps some creative beating with a rubber mallet? Hammer and dolly, like a body and fender repair.....Or even take it to a body shop...I bet they can straighten it out.... Other than that, maybe a piece of flat metal Screwed around the inside edge, to give you a new lip....like the above says

Last edited:
if anyone has an example of the lip please share... I would need to see it before I can get it done. I will also try open up the ring wider

just an update guys... I followed one of the tips provided and opened the lip more.. that has helped a bit, the lid is now sitting on the drum.. I have now put the ring back on and tightened. will work on it more and also get some gasket maker or something...

Last edited:
if anyone has an example of the lip please share... I would need to see it before I can get it done. I will also try open up the ring wider
Sorry, I just,seen this. I don't have any pictures but it is pretty simple, as you have figured out by now. Just take the adjustable wrench and set it so it just slips over the outer lip and roll it out some. After you go all way around lay the lid on top, you will see if it is tight anyplace. If need be you can always put a rope gasket on top of the rolled section of the drum.

Maybe something like this to latch it down.

Box Chest Case Spring Loaded Sillver Tone Draw Toggle Latch 4 Pcs

Last edited:
Keep in mind the UDS is a very simple smoker. No need to make it overly complicated..

My lid leaks too. Just adds to the exhaust. No problems

Sorry, I just,seen this. I don't have any pictures but it is pretty simple, as you have figured out by now. Just take the adjustable wrench and set it so it just slips over the outer lip and roll it out some. After you go all way around lay the lid on top, you will see if it is tight anyplace. If need be you can always put a rope gasket on top of the rolled section of the drum.
cool.. I will work on it more and see how it goes....I will also get some gasket of some sort... is all fails, I will look at adding clips to it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky