My first time playing with a breast...of veal *pic heavy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fire it up

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 24, 2009
South Jersey
So the other day I was browsing the meat department and found this...

Unsure what to do with it, besides smoking, I removed the breast from bone and trimmed some of the fat...

more on the rib bones later

Seasoned it with some CBP, store bought steak seasoning and red pepper, wrapped and in the fridge...

Only sat for a few hours because it was spur of the moment, would have preferred overnight.

No pictures from in the smoker, it was on the bottom rack of the red bullet so no good ones came out.
I figured I would take it to 140, wrap and bring to 180.
Added a little Snapple to the top of it. It is made from the best stuff on Earth...

Out of the smoker...

Seems a bit dry, so I cooled it fully and threw in the fridge, reheat to come...

The veal breast was ok, but what about the bones?
Waste not want not...I put the bones in a foil pan and threw them in the smoker along with some onions and garlic in my little cast iron... (Gonna make a smoky veal stock)

They were smoking nicely until...

The things we have to do for some smoky goodness...

When I couldn't take any more rain I pulled them off. The onions and garlic were meant for something else but it wasn't until I dumped them on the bones did I realize it, so oh well, even more smoke flavor...

Into the oven at 425-450 for around an hour then cool and into the fridge overnight...

The next day out of the fridge, I scrapped the fat off of the top and reserved 2Tbsp.

Rough chopped 1 large onion, 5-6 garlic cloves, 2 carrots, and 2 stalks of celery.

I must mention that the carrots may look dirty, but they aren't, just the way they looked after the pic was taken.

Slightly heated the ribs and reserved the juice...

Put the reserved fat in a stock pot over medium heat and threw in the veggies and cooked for 10 minutes, stirring frequently

Added about 1 cup of chopped tomatoes (I used canned) and the ribs and cook for another 10 minutes...

Added enough water to cover by a few inches, 2tsp whole peppercorns, about 1tsp thyme one bay leaf some kosher salt for good measure and the reserved juice and brought to a boil...

Reduced to a simmer stirring occasionally for 6-8 hours (I did 6)

Ok, now a snack. I took the veal breast out of the fridge and decided to try steaming it like a pastrami reheat. Have pics but I'm reaching the limit as it is. Put a little water and some liquid smoke in a large pot, put an inverted pan with holes into the pot, breast on that and covered, steamed for about 30 minutes and sliced...

Was very good, not enough smoke flavor though

6 hours later...

Removed the bones and strained everything. Use a spoon to push down and squeeze out all of the goodness...

Cover and in the fridge to cool. A few hours later I removed it and skimmed the fat off and gave it a taste test.
Tasted very watered down (this is normal when doing stocks) so I threw it in a pan on the stove over low heat until reduced by half.

It was good stuff, but now what do I do with a smoky veal stock? Use it with some smoked chicken and smoked kielbasa and make a smoked jambalaya!
And that is another post...
Thanks for checking it all out.

Dang man, nice work.
points.gif

for the dedication!

Thanks for the picts.

WOW! never messed with veal breast, but looks like a nice job. Points for all the Q VIEW and tutorial.

Love the pics and true "action shots" (carrots going into the pot, broth being poured in, rain coming down...). Excellent Qview and how to explanations.
points.gif

I have figured out why I love the Qview so much...it is like the menu at Denny's...I see what I want to eat and can point to it!

Thanks for sharing a good documented post, Q View looks great.

You know dirtman, this site is full of people who are buddies and enjoy smoke. Don't be a **** and start flaming me.
Ok, my stove top was dirty, I was cooking a lot of things including several sauces that do splatter. If I have spots on the stove what does that matter???
The seasoning on the meat wasn't overloaded at all but I guess you just decided to judge that for yourself. I have worked in the restaurant business for a loooong time and I know that a few dirty spots on the stove does not affect the outcome of a delicious meal, is your smoker clean all the time? How many people on here smoke and don't scrub their smoker clean before the next usage? Are they all dirty people?

As I said I had NEVER smoked something like that before so I was experimenting.
I have to say you seem like a real ***** compared to ANYONE I have talked to on this site and if your Mother never told you then I guess I will, if you don't have anything nice to say then please, just don't bother to comment.
Some people huh?
Anyway, back to prepping my smoky jambalaya dish, maybe I should clean the stove top so sensitive neat freaks can view my pics without vomiting...
Happy smokes dirtman.

What a work of art... You really have the action-shots done right and the entire recipe is good to go! Congratulations on the effort and fine cooking. Thank you for the pics!

Hey man this is a great post don't sweet what anyone thinks, life is to short if you had fun cooking it (thats all the matters) I enjoyed watching the Qviews.
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

Zug

Interesting point of view, (unnamed). I am certain, myself included, several members happen to think that was a pretty good version of BBQ, and cooking idea.

It is hardly expected that all member like or enjoy a particular member's cooking post; however, it is expected that ones posted reply (s) reflect them in a decent manner.

You, (unnamed), have not, and I am requesting your post and you be banned.

-RIVET

Come on man...not blowing sunshine up someones azz is one thing, but going out of your way to call someone's meal nasty and his home stomach turning is totally uncalled for.

Funny how the words following "no disrespect, but.." are almost always disrespectful
PDT_Armataz_01_33.gif

This thread was meant/intended to share a recipe/method of preparing a meal. Maybe we don't all agree to it's worth, but there is no need for being rude or disrespectful. This thread is going downhill and making good time, so I have closed it. Let's move on with something positive and friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky