My first smoked turkey.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Buzzard, I usually give the bird a quick rinse under cold water after brining. No one has complained about "salty" meat yet.

ok Dutch you opened a new can of worms so now have a lot of questions. i remember you talking about how your doctor recomeneded you cut salt out of your diet. how does this effect that. i realize you may not taste it but how much salt are you taking in, i would only assume a lot of it would sweat out durring cooking.

i am watching my salt intake too. now dont get me wrong, im sure i can get away with this since i watch it everyother day. and i dont care what the out come is i am going to eat it any way it was just a general question.

see im writing a book (yea right) and i need as much infomation as possible so if someone could send a bird to the lab to have it ananlized that would be great!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING Y'ALL!!!!!!!!!

Hi Buzzard, I've been brining meats for over 10 years now and the brine doesn't raise the sodium level of the meat. The salt acts as a "pack mule" as it were carrying flavor of the liquids into the cells of the meat and is flushed back out all due to osmotic action (nature just loves a happy medium!!). The general rule of thumb when making a brine is 1/2 lb of kosher salt and a 1/2 lb of sugar per gallon of liquid. It's better to use weight as a measurement than cups as different brands of kosher salt take up different volumes - for some 1 cup equals a pound and others a cup and a half.

I love using a mixture of apple juice, maple syrup and veggie broth as the base for my brines.

Buzzard, I asked my Doc that very question last week at my quarterly check-up and she pretty much said what Big Willy did. She wasn't worried about it since I only do 2-3 birds a year. She did ask if I would smoke a turkey for her if she provided the bird. This would be purely for scientific study of course. :mrgreen:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky