My First Smoked Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bagbeard

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 24, 2013
Scotland, Ontario, Canada
Smoked my first baby backs this weekend.  Used my Charbroil silver with  water pans across bottom to act as a heat baffle.  Rub on overnight  then i smoked at 225 - 245 for about 5 hours.  I mainly used oak, cherry and maple wood for fuel with some hardwood lump as well. i found the temp of the meat went up very fast and was at 185 in 3 hours.  I have read to smoke for 5 so i did so anyway.  after i took them off i wrapped in foil. one with sauce one i left dry.  They sat in a cooler with towels and hot baked potatoes while i smoked some pork loin i  cut into 1-2 " slices. It wasnt tenderloin so i assume that is the whole loin? anyway the ribs werent juicy but not dry.  taste was great.  they were gone in no time.  Next time I think i would try lower heat (200-225)

One other major detail was the weather.  It was very windy and heavy rain with beautiful sunny breaks.  the air pressure was very high as my smoke just lingered around the yard.  Very hard to get fire up to temp.  Lots of work to maintain temp but nothing like my first cook ever of a 9 lb pork butt for 18 hrs . that was a bit of patience!!

Happy smoke!

Next weekend i think i will try a brisket

Ribs look great, and next is a Brisky
icon_question.gif
 Get ready for another long cook.
ROTF.gif

Have fun and as always . . .

?.... then i smoked at 225 - 245 for about 5 hours.  .......... i found the temp of the meat went up very fast and was at 185 in 3 hours.  I have read to smoke for 5 so i did so anyway. 

Not to say you did anything wrong , but those ribs might've been pretty close to done at the 3 hour mark. I've done them 3-2-1 before and only going by the clock I over cooked them.(I know you only cooked yours 5 hours but I'm just sayin)
There was someone writing on this forum recently that they do their baby backs 1-1-1 at 300 degrees and they come out perfect. I'm not sure if 185-190 is the temp you look for in ribs because I usually do mine by feel , but in the quest for the nice moist perfectly cooked tender spare rib , there's all kinds of factors to consider. Your stuff all looks good , tho. Not criticizing Thumbs Up

Last edited:
Looks good from here!!!

After what I saw today, I wouldn't worry too much about over cooking Ribs.

I watched an episode of "DDD" that I recorded on Memorial Day.  A restaurant that makes Spare Ribs that everyone believes is best around. People just go nuts over them, and they look Great!!!  The guy smokes them for 12 hours @ 225* !!!!!   Imagine That !!!

Bear

im a noobie can someone explain the 3 2 1 the 1 1 1 etc.  i think it has to do with foiling?  i did these ribs uncovered for whole cook. only foiled after removing from smoker.

im a noobie can someone explain the 3 2 1 the 1 1 1 etc.  i think it has to do with foiling?  i did these ribs uncovered for whole cook. only foiled after removing from smoker.

The 3-2-1 method refers to a method of cooking ribs that involves 3 hours on the grate getting smoke, 2 hours wrapped in foil with a sauce or juice while they cook, and 1 more hour out of the foil back on the grate. During the 1 hour phase is when people usually glaze or sauce the ribs. I've never heard of 1-1-1 but I'd assume its the same process

Last edited:
3-2-1, 2-2-1., 2-1-1 and 1-1-1 are all "timed" methods where the first number is the amount of hours sitting bare in the smoker.  2nd number is the amount of time cooked in foil.  3rd number is amount of time removed from the foil and placed back in the smoker.

So, for 3-2-1, it would be 3 hours in the smoke, then wrap the ribs in foil and put back in smoker for 2 hours.  Then remove foil and put back in smoker for 1 more hour to firm up.

3-2-1 @ 225 degrees is generally used with Spare ribs.  2-2-1 and 2-1-1 is for Baby Backs.  WIth all these methods, the "times" are guide lines for the most part.  You adapt them as necessary given conditions and other variables, as well as your personal tastes.  

Looks good from here!!!

After what I saw today, I wouldn't worry too much about over cooking Ribs.

I watched an episode of "DDD" that I recorded on Memorial Day.  A restaurant that makes Spare Ribs that everyone believes is best around. People just go nuts over them, and they look Great!!!  The guy smokes them for 12 hours @ 225* !!!!!   Imagine That !!!

Bear
They must be some tough ribs. Mine are done in 4-41/2 hours.

They must be some tough ribs. Mine are done in 4-41/2 hours.
I would have thought that too, but this DDD was on the BBQ tour, including Tennessee, Kansas City, Texas, and NC, and I forget which one it was, but the people absolutely loved it.

Bear

Last edited:
do many people just smoke ribs dry, no wrapping etc?  i mean wrapping when cooking.  i always wrap all my meat after cooking is done.
There's not really a "right" way to do it...ribs will turn out great whether foiled on not.  Its really a personal preference thing.  Best advice is to try it both ways and see how you like it. 

Red

does anyone use meat temp as a guide or mostly time?
Hi bagbeard.

First off, your ribs look great!  They'll only get better as you dial in your methods.

Its kinda challenging to get accurate meat temps from ribs because of all the bones.  Many use the bend test to tell when they are done:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/the-bend-test-for-ribs

Red
Red beat me to it, I use time but check using the bend test an hour or so before, usually when I start building my glaze.
  • BB 5 hours no foil 225 - 250
  • my fast and hot BB ribs 450° for 70 minutes
  • GOSM SPARES  3 - 2 - 1
  • 3-2-1 Spares 225°-250° (dry but tasty) this is why I CHECK WITH THE BEND TEST.

• straight up 6 hours 225° - 250°

every cook is different and while the 3-2-1 works most of the time, I feel it's a starting point and needs to be tweaked to your personal taste and your specific equipment.

I will pull the ribs an hour or so before their time is up if they bend test tells me too!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky