My first smoke.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tunaboat

Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
queen creek
So I did my first smoke today. I got my SnP about a month ago, but all I had done so far was grill on it. Only mods so far are duel thermometers and I put a cookie sheet in it as a temperary damper. I smoked some country style ribs, I have always hated grilling those, most of the time they turned out too tough. I thought they would be a good test, since I have grilled them quite often on my old POS propane grill hot and fast. Smoking low and slow (2,2,1) = WOW, I cant belive how good they were. My fist smoke was a great success. Im sorry I dont have a picture. Ill do better next time. I also smoked a couple of fatties, they turned out great too. Im hooked now. I cant wait to do some real spare ribs. I can also see I need to do some more mods, extend the chiminey, install a better baffle, and a fire box is a must.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on the forum, There is a TON of great information contained on this site. It has quickly become one of my favorite forums.

Tuna
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

Glad it worked out for ya Tuna. You smoked 'em without the firebox? I assume the pan/baffle was set up to keep the fire on one end then eh? Cool!

Hey Rich, I think he may have meant coal basket!

Good job Tunaboat!

Ahhh- When he said "All I have done is grilling" I assumed he had not got the SFB, or not installed it yet. My bad... thanks for the clarification Dan!

Yep, sorry i was sleepy, thats what I meant, I need to build a coal basket. I have the side firebox, but coals fall through the little grate in the bottom of it. I can see the baffle makes a big difference. When I first started the smoke I just turned the charcoal basket for the grill upside down and raised it to the highest adjustment on the firebox side to help control temps, then I found an old cookie sheet , and it made a big difference.

Tuna

Congrats on you first smoke. You'll be pushing the envelope from now on...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky