My first smoke.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hrt_attack

Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
hilton, ny
Hi all.
Well i had my first smoke today. I got frustrated with my Big Cheif smoker , and went out an bought a great outdoors smokey mountain propane smoker last week.
Well today I decided to smoke a 7 lb NY strip Roast. (thats what my friend who processes her own cows calls it.) I used hickory which made the meat so delicious. I smoked at 225-230 degree until the roast got about 140 degrees. I then placed it in in a alluminium pan and covered it with foil until the roast hit 193 degrees.. 10.5 hrs total cook time.
I then placed it in a cooler for 30 mins. (next time I will keep it in the cooler for an hour.)
Well all I can saw is that it was delicious.. i could not keep my son away from it.
My question to all is do you place bar-b-que sauce on the side, or place it on at the tail end of cooking?

Jack
HRT_ATTACK

Attachment 6902

Attachment 6903

Attachment 6904

Attachment 6905
bf3c20f5_vbattach16126.jpg

340347bb_vbattach16127.jpg

65213973_vbattach16124.jpg

ada303e4_vbattach16125.jpg

Me personally, I like to add sauce to it as I eat it. I have found that if properly smoked, it does not need a lot of extra sauce. It is kind of like a good grilled steak, it does not need much steak sauce if the cut of meat is good and it has a good dry rub. Just my opinion. BTW, looks great for your first smoke! Welcome!

Brentman0110

congrats on a successful smoke HRT_ATTACK.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Personally I would use a rub on that or even just salt, pepper, and a touch of garlic then offer sauce on the side. But that's my personal preference.

Thanks all..
I used a beef rub my wife bought some time ago.. It worked well..
i also used a mop that I concocted using apple cider vinigar, olive oil, italian seasoning, garlic, pepper,paprika, and a little apple juice.

It really depends on what I am smoking. Big chunk of meat like that, sauce on the side. Individual rib bones, small rack, etc. I may mop some sauce on them.
Great looking first smoke
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Congrats on a successful first smoke. That picture tells the whole story; yum!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky