My First Smoke...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gunz and carz

Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Ok. Thanks to all the great info I've learned on here from all of you experts, my first smoking experience came out much better than it would have without your help. Thanks so much for all the great encouragement and the advice.

I made a video as the process progressed. I'm open to suggestions on what I did right and what I did wrong, or what I could do to improve my technique. Cleaning that sucker afterwards was a piece of work.

An excellent video! I really enjoyed it. Glad the ribs came out great! My only concern is, was the exhaust vent closed while producing smoke? It should always be fully open. This will affect the amount of smoke flavor on the meat. A great start. Keep it up.

Mike

Thanks for the comment, Mike.

Yes, I had the exhaust vent closed all the way. Isn't that the way it's supposed to be done. I thought you wanted to keep the smoke in the smoker. There was a lot of smoke coming out of the chip adding hole. Let me know so I do it right next time.

With the exhaust vent fully open the smoke will kiss the meat rather than smothering. Try it and you will taste the difference.! It is what is called the TBS> (thin blue smoke)

Mike

Thanks so much for that info. I obviously didn't know what I was doing that day. Duh!

That's why this site and all of your guys (and gals) are such a great resource, especially for a newbie.

I will change my approach next time.

Thank you again.

You're off to a good start GC! Those ribs look great.

I agree with the other's advise, and you'll pick up plenty of tips to tweak your style on SMF. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky