My first smoke on the Mini

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shelterit

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
El Dorado Hills, CA
For my first smoke I decided to do a pastrami.  I had purchased some brisket and dunked it in a brine for 10 days and this is how it looked when I pulled it out on day 10

The recipe I used called for 4 TBS of fresh ground black pepper and after about .5 TBS my arm and wrist were getting tired of all the grinding.  I thought there had to be a better way and this is what I came up with.

It worked like a champ!  Grinding through the 4 TBS in about 30 seconds.  So with the prep out of the way it came time to rub the fresh corned beef down. 

Then sent off to the fridge for a 2 day rest.  Time to fire up the mini

pulled the rubbed down corned beef from the fridge

after 10 hours at 225 I pulled the Pastrami and an IT of 190

It tasted really good but I am following the guide on Amazing Ribs website and they suggest to wrap in foil for 12 hours and then steam. So, after work today I will be steaming one of these beauties to an IT of 203 and enjoy a pastrami on rye for dinner.  I cant wait.  More pictures to come...

Looks great, very nice bark.

So how was the mini too use?  First impressions?

the mini was really easy to use.  It took me about 15 minutes or so to dial in 225 and once I did, it cruised right along for about 4 hours and I had to make a couple of adjustments, shake the ash of the coals and then close the damper a little.  I added coals around the 5-6 hour mark and was good to go for the rest of the cook.  All in all, I am very happy I built the Mini and would recommend it to all.   

For my first smoke I decided to do a pastrami.  I had purchased some brisket and dunked it in a brine for 10 days and this is how it looked when I pulled it out on day 10

The recipe I used called for 4 TBS of fresh ground black pepper and after about .5 TBS my arm and wrist were getting tired of all the grinding.  I thought there had to be a better way and this is what I came up with.

It worked like a champ!  Grinding through the 4 TBS in about 30 seconds.  So with the prep out of the way it came time to rub the fresh corned beef down. 

Then sent off to the fridge for a 2 day rest.  Time to fire up the mini

pulled the rubbed down corned beef from the fridge

after 10 hours at 225 I pulled the Pastrami and an IT of 190

It tasted really good but I am following the guide on Amazing Ribs website and they suggest to wrap in foil for 12 hours and then steam. So, after work today I will be steaming one of these beauties to an IT of 203 and enjoy a pastrami on rye for dinner.  I cant wait.  More pictures to come...

Oh my goodness, that looks amazing !! :drool: What type wood chunks if any did ya use ?

Oh my goodness, that looks amazing !!
drool.gif
: What type wood chunks if any did ya use ?
Thank you.  I used Kingsford blue bag charcoal and pecan wood chunks. 

Awesome looking Pastrami Shelterit    I'd say the inaugural smoke was highly successful. Well done!

B

Thanks everyone!  This was not only my first smoke on the mini but my first attempt at pastrami and I would have to say they were both a success thanks to all the help I received on here.  You guys are great!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky