My first smoke ever - whole chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

idahosmoker79

Original poster
Jan 10, 2016
This Saturday I did my first ever smoke in my new MES 30. Here's how it went:

Brined my 7 lb bird for about 6 hours in a simple salty brine in a 5 gallon bucket. Let it dry and prepped my smoker. Started low at 190 using 1/2 hickory 1/2 cherry wood.

1 hour in bird at 77*
2 hours in bird at 115*. Smoker up to 200* now
3 hours in bird at 135* smoker up to 225* now
4 hours in bird at 144*
4 1/2 hours in bird at 149* smoker up to 275*
5 hours in bird at 165*

Let it sit carved it up and enjoyed the best chicken of my life! I'm hooked on smoking. When I do this again I think I'll use a little less salty brine or not brine as long and probably start hotter than I did. The flavor was a little stronger than my wife liked so I'd tone it down a bit maybe with more fruit wood concentration. That experimentation will be fun!

Glad your chicken came out well!  Higher temp, less time in the smoke, will tone down the flavor a bit.  Poultry absorbs smoke well.  It can be a little strong tasting for some.  I enjoy the smokiness myself.

Mike

The slow temp rise let more smoke accumulate. Try 275 the whole time and/or back down on the Hickory. You didn't say how much salt you used but I and lots of others getting good results with 1/2C Morton Kosher per Gallon. You can go 6-8 hours or overnight with no saltiness issues...JJ

Very good result for your first smoke! It only gets better from here. By the way, my wife is my worst critic too. But that's alright it makes you keep trying to improve your technique.

Great job!

Al

Good job on your first smoke Thumbs Up. I'm also new to smoking and I'm totally hooked too. This forum is the best resource I have found when it comes to advice and ideas. Hope to see you back.

Sounds like a success for your first ever smoke ! Thumbs Up That's awesome, what ya gonna smoke next ?

Thank you! I think this weekend I'm going for some baked beans and a turkey.

That's great, good luck... If ya need any help on anything, just ask. This site is full of great folks that like to help out !

So, what part of the Gem State ya from ?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky