My first shot at Canadian Bacon. qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wutang

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 10, 2008
Omaha, Ne
I picked up a 9.25 lb pork loin

Rinsed and patted dry

I cut it in about half and made 2 different kinds. The cure/seasoning blend amounts are PER POUND of meat
One is:
1Tbsp Tenderquick
1 tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp Onion powder
1 tsp Paprika

The other one is:
1 Tbsp Tenderquick
1 tsp "Roasted Garlic & Bell Pepper" seasoning blend
1 tsp Cavender's Greek Seasoning blend (salt free)
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

Here they are rubbed, wrapped, and ready for the fridge.

They spent about 10 days curing. I flipped them over every couple of days

I rinsed thoroughly and then soaked in cold water in the fridge for about 2 hours.

I patted dry and the sprinkled the first one with a little cracked black pepper and sprinkled the second one with a little more of the roasted garlic seasoning blend. They sat on the rack about 45 minutes to dry while the smoker came up to temp

They smoked at about 150 degrees for the 1st half hour then at temps of 200-220 until they reached an internal temp of 160. I took them that high because I wanted to be able to eat it without recooking/frying. They have a nice pink color throughout.

They sat in the fridge for a day or so then I pulled out the meat slicer

I vacuum sealed them in half-pound packages and stashed them in the freezer. I am now stocked for a little while.
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

I liked them both. They are pretty similar so the difference is subtle. I would probably pick the garlic powder/onion powder/paprika flavored one if I had to choose. But I would have no problem eating a bunch of either one.

Very good looking CB nice job!

Nice Cb there.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Good job on the bacon. See how easy it is? I doesn't last long once it's sliced so get ready to make some more.
PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif

VERY nice, i had to go open a package myself.
Didn't you add any suger?

Not this time, but next time I make it I will probably add some brown sugar to the mix.

That looks excellent.I have a 3 pound cut-off of loin for my second C.B.I followed similiar recipe and love fact i can eat it anytime i am hungry- day or night.Thanks for q-view.

I just happen to have one of those in the freezer. I think I have a mission for the weekend. I'll just put off the honey doo's and try the bacon doo's. Thanks Wutang for the idea and recipe. I'm going with the garlic one.

Great job on the bacon Adam! Looks delicious!
I'm still going to try to talk you into cold smoking some one day.
tongue.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

You won't have to try very hard to convince me. You just have to let me know when you will be in town to help build the smokehouse.
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky