My first run making Fatties w/ Q View

Discussion in 'Fatties' started by vic81, Sep 20, 2010.

1. vic81

vic81 Fire Starter

this weekend I had some down time so I decided to make fatties.  The first one is turkey sausage with spinach, mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese; the middle one is jimmy dean sausage with jalapeños and cheddar, and the top one is jimmy dean sausage with pizza sauce, pepperoni and mozzarella.  Here are some pics of the process:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I learned a few things in the process:

1) I need to get better cut beacon, maybe center cut.  The beacon I used had to much fat for me and the family

2) I should consider getting spice sausage for some of them

3) I need to put more fillings in the middle - the pics above show only a small amount, I added more cheese after the photos, but wanted to show the things other than cheese

4) I need to work on my rolling skills .......

A question for everyone - if I made one and didn't cook it right away on the smoker, say let it site for 24 hours in the frig, do you think it would be ok??  I need to cook one this Friday and was thinking of making it Thursday night to save on time.  thanks!

2. Looks good, gotta love the fatties.  I often make up fatties ahead of time.  I've made them a day in advance and had no problems.  I also like to make up breakfast fatties, smoke em, slice em and freeze em that way when I'm ready all I have to do is nuke em.

3. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Now fatties are almost like a welcoming present from SMF. For most folks haven't heard or seen theses things before they get here. Now yours look great and you want to make sure that you get the thin bacon if you get some different stuff to. Now one word of advice. After you rol your fattie up place it into some streched out saran wrap and then grab the ends and hold them and roll the fattie on the table. This will tighten up arounbd the fattie and make it good and tight roll. Then put it into the refrig for overnight. That will help it your fattie stay round and tighter fininshed product. 

4. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Hey Vic----They look Great to me!

You could enter them in a smoke/cooking contest.

I wouldn't want to enter any of mine in an "Art Fair" either.

Mighty tasty looking,

Bear

5. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Yep, They look great to me also...

6. miamirick

miamirick Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

dont worry, just keep practicing and those rolling skills will come back to you its like riding a bike, (remember the old album covers)

and really how bad is it if it isnt rolled perfect?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  7. chainsaw

chainsaw Smoking Fanatic

like Rick said after a few they will all be easy. You had a great presentation and showed great organizational skills putting these all together.

Thanks for sharing! 

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  8. i just have to say those are some delicious looking fatties right there!  dang, man!

i think mballi3011 is right about fatties being a SMF welcome present

i had never heard of them before coming here, and i'm in love with them now!  i try to make one every time i smoke

9. deannc

deannc Master of the Pit

Bad roll job or not, they looked liked they smoked up well.  Those rolling skills will get better with practice.  [​IMG]

10. vic81

vic81 Fire Starter

thanks guys - I'll keep practicing......means more to eat [​IMG]   A few friends of mine from a cigar forum made them and I couldn't resist....all the info here is what made them possible.  Round 2 coming Thursday night, I'll see if I can get those rolls looking better - they will be for my father in-laws birthday!!

11. Hmmm...final product looked good to me!  It only gets better & better!

12. tom37

tom37 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I thought they looked pretty good. I like the cheep thin bacon best of all, unless I am just laying it onthe grate and cooking it as a snack.

Nice Work.

13. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Hey Vic,

If you think that's hard, next time try rolling your own cigar!

I still think they looked great,

Bear

14. don't look that good to me, you need to bring me some to check out!!!   [​IMG]

15. herkysprings

herkysprings Smoking Fanatic

Yup for sure! Just wrap it up and you are good to go the next day.

16. princess

princess Smoking Fanatic

Looks tasty!! :) Congrats on a great 1st Fattie!

-Princess

17. arnie

arnie Smoking Fanatic

I have made fatties ahead on more than one occasion without an issue.

Some can even be made ahead and frozen

A fattie piston would help in organizing the stuffing for your fattie whitch goes a long way in helping with the roll up.

I "binged" fattie piston and found this site http://www.fattiepistons.blogspot.com/

For $10 they’ll send you a fattie piston and 100% of their profit goes to help send high school kids in the greater Akron area to Young Life summer camps.

A fattie piston is simple to make, but if you buy one from this site you don’t have any leftover material, no hassle chasing down the material, the cost is about the same, and you get to help a good cause.

Check it out!

18. sqwib

sqwib Smoking Guru OTBS Member

They look good to me!

19. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

They look great from here too!!