My First Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Jul 7, 2005
Midvale, UT
Having seen a number of posts about making pastrami from corned beef and having read TulsaJeffs newsletter on the same subject, I decided to give it a go meownself. Ma Dutch picked up a 4 pound corned beef flat several weeks ago. I soaked the flat for about 8 hours, changing the water every 2 hours. I dried off the flat and gave it good dusting of TulsaJeffs Rib Rub-minus the salt. Into the Lang smoker it went along with 2 pork butts, a pork loin, a pork tenderloin and some beef dino ribs.

Everything was smoked at 250° and pulled off when the desired temps were reached.

I pulled the 'strami off at 190° and let it cool off in the fridge overnight and the next morning it was vacu-sealed and placed into the freezer for St. Patrick's Day. Tuesday morning I pulled the 'strami from the freezer and placed it in the fridge to thaw for 24+ hours.

Yesterday, around 2 pm I placed the pastrami in the crock pot with 3/4 cup of beef broth. When the internal temp reached 190°, this is what I had:

Here it is sliced up for some sammies:

And here is the sammie build- two slices of sourdough bread spread with some Thousand Island Dressing, topped with sauerkraut and Provolone cheese.

And then the pastrami:

On to the griddle for some toasty goodness:

And served up with some more sauerkraut, chips, a pickle and one of Ma Dutch's Green Rice Krispy treats for dessert.

This 'strami was worth doing and will be done again for sure. While eating this great creation, my brother called me to brag about his corned beef and cabbage supper that he was enjoying. I kinda stole the wind from his sail when I described how I made my sammich and how awesome it was.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Heh-heh-heh!!! 1st one's a charm, Dutch! Betcha never buy deli 'strami again!

Lookin' good, all the way to the plate!

Eric

That looked great Dutch!
Had lots of corned beef yesterday but now I'm really in the mood for some strami.
Only thing left to do now is try corning your own beef and smokin it up.

Yep, gotta try the corning thing-need to search the forum pages for some great corning recipes!

The pastrami took 7 hours and the butts took nearly 12 hrs. Ma D was ribbing me saying if I had used foil, they would have been done sooner! But nah-I haven't used foil on ribs or butts in nearly a year.
icon_mrgreen.gif

Sure it's not your first time Dutch?
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
Your pastrami looks excellent. Nicely done and perfectly cut across the grain.

Great job! The results speak for themselves. Pastrami is one of my two favorite deli meats (prosciutto is the other), and it God's gift to sandwiches. I myself love a pastrami reuben (which your sandwich is close to). As a suggestion for your corned beef experiments, make sure there is juniper in there! That makes it, IMO.

Dutch,
You people are gonna start thinking I'm too easy with my points.
This is the third Strami I'm giving points to.
I can't help myself, you guys are killin' me & my slobbered up keyboard !

Points to you Dutch---->
points.gif

Bearcarver

I have a small corned beef soaking for tomorrow. It's only the hubs and me. This was definitely the thread I needed. I already have rye bread in the bread machine, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, Russian dressing, and strong garlic pickles.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky